12 Jun
2021

RSF calls for cancellation of new press law and protests against review’s seizure

first_img to go further The same day parliament passed a much-criticised new press law, another publication was censored, apparently because it reported a call made last May by the king’s cousin, Prince Moulay Hisham (see photo), for the monarchy to be reformed. Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa May 7, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 RSF calls for cancellation of new press law and protests against review’s seizure News News RSF_en Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists News Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance June 8, 2021 Find out more Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Organisation NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières – RSF) expressed concern today about a new seizure of a publication, the quarterly Arab-language journal Wijhat Nadhar, by Moroccan authorities and called for abolition of the country’s new press law.”This confiscation is part of a hostility towards the media marked by passage of a very disappointing new press law,” said RSF secretary-general Robert Ménard. “If the press law was as truly concerned with press freedom as the government claims it is, such seizures would not be happening.”So far this year in Morocco, one journalist has been arrested, six physically attacked, the editor of a weekly put on trial and three publications censored.Plainclothes police seized 8,000 copies of issue no.15 of Wijhat Nadhar from the Najah printing works in Casablanca on 6 May. The journal’s editor, Abdellatif Hosni, said no reason was given for the confiscation. However the issue contained the translation of a lecture given by Prince Moulay Hisham (see photo), King Mohammed VI’s brother, at the French Institute for International Relations (IFRI) in Paris in May 2001. The prince, who lives in the United States, said the Moroccan monarchy needed “to reform itself.”The country’s new press law was given final approval by parliament on 6 May without major changes, despite being shuttled between the two houses of the legislature and being greatly criticised by Moroccan civil society as well as local and international NGOs, including RSF.The law was passed by the Chamber of Deputies on 12 March and by the upper chamber, the House of Councillors, on 11 April, with a few minor changes. Despite some positive points (lighter penalties for journalists, smaller fines, easier procedures for launching a publication and the need to give reasons for confiscation), the law is still a tough one. Jail terms for insulting the king and the royal family remain, with offenders risking between three and five years in prison (compared with between five and 20 years previously). Article 29 retains the government’s right to ban Moroccan or foreign newspapers if they are deemed to “undermine Islam, the monarchy, national territorial integrity or public order.” April 28, 2021 Find out more April 15, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More
8 Dec
2020

Binghamton University shares testing plans after colleges across the nation grapple with COVID-19

first_img“That’s just a randomize sampling. If we can hopefully identify anyone with COVID, we can remove them and place them into isolation housing,” said Hubeny. While staff and students will be tested randomly, or if they show symptoms, the school is taking one extra step in hopes of monitoring any potential cases on campus. While there is not much oversight on ensuring everyone is completing the form, the school says they’re doing other methods of testing. At Cornell University, students are being tested twice a week. Binghamton University says they are averaging about 200 tests a day, or 1,000 a week. For more information on Binghamton University’s COVID-19 count, you can visit their COVID-19 Testing Data Dashboard. (WBNG) — While some colleges have dozens, or even hundreds of COVID-19 cases, Binghamton University is only reporting two positive cases since September 2nd. “The expectation is they will do that. There is no real good enforcement mechanism, but yes, the expectation is that it will be filled out,” said Hubeny. “We’re starting with a simple screening tool of every member of our community, from staff, students, and faculty,” said Office of Emergency Management Executive Director Dave Hubeny. Testing the waste water will allow the school to locate specific locations as to where the virus could spread. “Passively, we’re also testing waste water. We’ve been doing this for several weeks now,” said Hubeny. “Before students got back, we were able to test to get a baseline so we have something to compare it to.” Every university has come up with their own plan to battle COVID-19, but for Binghamton University, they are focusing on surveillance testing. Tuesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced schools with more than 100 positive cases will be required to report to the state’s department of health. As schools continue to monitor for COVID-19, Binghamton University is also looking to SUNY for guidance on the next steps. “We work in partnership with the Broome County Health Department, with our own internal health services, and obviously with the SUNY system administration. We’ll adjust our testing if there is a need,” said Hubeny. Of the approximately 18,000 enrolled students, only 5,800 live on campus this semester. Each student was required to test upon arrival, and if testing negative, they were allowed to move in. Now, students and staff are required to complete a form every day, describing if they have any symptoms of illness. last_img read more

Read More