2 Mar
2021

New Mastersounds & Turkuaz Are Bringing The Funk To New York City

first_imgWhen it comes to modern funky music, not many are doing it better than Turkuaz and The New Mastersounds. Each band has been road-tested and fan-approved, bringing their big dance party sounds to fans across the country. When these groups share the stage, the energy is seriously through the roof. That’s why we can’t wait for their tour to hit Terminal 5 in New York, NY, on Friday, December 2nd. Tickets can be found here.The pairing between these two bands started last summer, when the bands got together after High Sierra Music Festival for a meeting of the minds at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, CA. The resulting session saw each band cover a track from the other’s catalog, with their collaborative help, of course. The two tracks they laid down – Turkuaz’s rendition of NMS’s “On The Border” and New Mastersounds’ rendition of  Turkuaz’s “The Rules” – were recently released as the Split 7″ EP.Their tour just kicked off with a few nights in Colorado, including a great show in Boulder, CO that we reviewed here. Each show with these two bands turns the energy up the max, as Turkuaz’s funk army style is matched by the chilled out funky grooves of The New Mastersounds. Expect exciting collaborations and non-stop dancing when these two bands come to town!Be sure to catch Turkuaz and The New Mastersounds in New York City when they come into town on Friday, December 2nd. Tickets are still available here, so don’t miss a beat.Enter to win tickets:[Photo by Dani Brandwein]last_img read more

Read More
8 Dec
2020

BC Health Department: Positive coronavirus case in person who visited Old Union Hotel

first_imgLocated at 246 Clinton St. in Binghamton, the Old Union Hotel said the person was at the establishment on Monday, September 21 between 4:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. The BC Health Department asks anyone who was at the establishment during this period to quarantine until October 6th. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Broome County Health Department issued a public health statement regarding a positive COVID case in a person who was at the Old Union Hotel. last_img

Read More
3 Jan
2020

Data: Troops disregard rules

first_imgKILLINGS: ACLU releases documents on the treatment of Iraqi and Afghan civilians. By Ryan Lenz THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Newly released documents regarding crimes committed by U.S. soldiers against civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan detail a troubling pattern of troops failing to understand and follow the rules that govern interrogations and deadly actions. “The simple fact of the matter is interrogation is supposed to be stressful or you will get no information,” Welshofer wrote in a letter to the court asking for clemency. “To put it another way, an interrogation without stress is not an interrogation – it is a conversation.” The documents were obtained through a federal Freedom of Information Act request the ACLU filed with the military more than a year ago asking for all documents relevant to U.S. military involvement in the deaths of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. Only the Army responded. Considered against recent cases, including soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division convicted of killing detainees in Samarra, Iraq, last year and the ongoing courts-martial of Marines accused of killing 24 civilians in Haditha, these new examples shed light on how often soldiers and Marines may disregard the rules of war. Nasrina Bargzie, an attorney with the ACLU’s National Security Project, said the documents also show that there’s an abundance of information being withheld from public scrutiny. The lawsuit seeks to compel the military to produce all documents related to all incidents of civilian deaths at the hands of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan since January 2005. The ACLU contends the materials must be released under federal law. The Defense Department declined to comment on the lawsuit until it could review its claims. Among the files released to the ACLU were the court-martial records for two soldiers convicted of assault in the drowning of a man pushed into the Tigris for violating curfew and three soldiers convicted in the “mercy killing” of an injured teenager in Sadr City. The teen had been severely injured; one soldier explained that he shot and killed the teen “to take him out of his misery.” Other killings included: A man shot after a search of his home near Balad uncovered illegal weapons and anti-American literature. Immediately after the shooting, according to testimony, Sgt. 1st Class George Diaz, who was convicted of unpremeditated murder, said, “I’m going to hell for this.” Diaz also was convicted of mistreating a teenage detainee when he forced the youth to hold a smoke grenade with the pin pulled as Diaz questioned him at gunpoint. A suspected insurgent in Iraq by Staff Sgt. Shane Werst, who said the man appeared to be reaching for a weapon. Werst was acquitted of murder despite acknowledging he had fired and then planted a chrome Iraqi pistol on the suspect to make his claim of self defense more believable. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The documents, released today by the American Civil Liberties Union ahead of a lawsuit, total nearly 10,000 pages of courts-martial summaries, transcripts and military investigative reports about 22 incidents. They show repeated examples of soldiers believing they were within the law when they killed local citizens. The killings include the drowning of a man soldiers pushed from a bridge into the Tigris River as punishment for breaking curfew, and the suffocation during interrogation of a former Iraqi general believed to be helping insurgents. In the suffocation, soldiers covered the man’s head with a sleeping bag, then wrapped his neck with an electrical cord for a “stress position” they insisted was an approved technique. Chief Warrant Officer Lewis Welshofer was convicted of negligent homicide in the death of Maj. Gen. Abed Hamed Mowhoush following a January 2006 court-martial that received wide media attention due to possible CIA involvement in the interrogation. But even after his conviction, Welshofer insisted his actions were appropriate and standard, documents show. last_img read more

Read More