4 Jun
2021

Give closed garda stations back to community

first_imgEmail by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] Garda stations should be given back to the communities they served and not be sold off for “paltry sums”, according to a county Limerick barrister and local election candidate.Independent candidate for Limerick west, Emmett O’Brien said Garda Stations were like post offices and the Government should stop its assault on rural Ireland and offer them to community organisations for local activities until such time as they are re-opened for their intended use.The former Fianna Fáil national executive member said on his canvass in the Askeaton, Kilcornan and Adare areas he was alarmed at the amount of people asking why Askeaton Garda station was now only open for an hour a day.“It was totally wrong that Askeaton Garda station, serving such a large area, was reduced from a Garda district headquarters to a Garda station with no appointed sergeant. We led a successful campaign to keep Pallaskenry Garda station open and this was achieved by a strong community campaign”.He added that the people in the Askeaton area needed a strong Garda presence as there had been a spate of burglaries in the area in recent weeks and the elderly are living in fear.“The decline of rural Ireland is worrying. In Limerick alone, 11 banks, 116 pubs and 6 Garda stations have closed since 2008. We need active voices in our communities to stop this decline.“I have seen the loss of vibrancy in our communities. The feeling on the ground continues to be disappointment with the main political parties and the people are looking for an alternative”, he declared. Print Twitter TAGSgarda stationsjusticeMusic Limerickshatter Advertisement #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ NewsCommunityCrime & CourtGive closed garda stations back to communityBy Staff Reporter – April 7, 2014 1175 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedincenter_img Facebook Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick WhatsApp Previous articleLimerick roller girls get Ireland’s callNext articleSearch to resume for missing county Limerick woman Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR New Music: 40Hurtzlast_img read more

Read More
21 Sep
2020

New deal for Nugent

first_img The 29-year-old, who has one senior England cap, notched 20 goals in the Sky Bet Championship for the Foxes last season to help the club claim the title. He becomes the latest key player from that promotion campaign to put pen to paper on a new Leicester contract this summer, following the likes of goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, defender and captain Wes Morgan and midfielder Danny Drinkwater. Nugent told lcfc.com: “I’m delighted to have signed for two years and I’m really looking forward to testing myself with the rest of the squad in the best league in the world. “Last season was the best of my career in terms of goals and assists, but I wouldn’t have managed it without the lads around me so I’m really pleased the squad has been kept together. I think we’ve got a great chance of doing well in the Premier League.” Leicester manager Nigel Pearson said: “David’s contribution to the squad goes a lot further than the goals he scores or the assists he provides. “He’s a striker that works incredibly hard for the team and helps us to set a tempo that other teams found difficult to cope with last season. “He’s a hugely popular, infectious character in the dressing room and a really important part of this group, so I’m delighted that he’ll be staying with us in the Premier League.” Nugent has been Leicester’s leading scorer in all three seasons since he joined them in 2011 following a four-year spell with Portsmouth, accruing a total of 54 goals in 148 appearances for the Foxes. He has Premier League experience from his time with Portsmouth and Burnley, who he played for on loan from Pompey. Leicester striker David Nugent has signed a new two-year deal at the King Power Stadium, the Barclays Premier League outfit have announced.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More
18 Sep
2020

India great Dhoni retires from international cricket

first_imgIndia great Dhoni retires from international cricket August 15, 2020 Dhoni, who played in 90 tests, 350 one-day internationals and 98 Twenty20s for his country, was dropped from India’s list of 27 centrally contracted players in January.Fellow India great S​achin Tendulkar said Dhoni’s contribution had been immense. “Winning the 2011 World Cup together has been the best moment of my life,” the 47-year-old former batting maestro tweeted. “Wishing you and your family all the very best for your 2nd innings.”Dhoni has not played international cricket since last year’s 50-over World Cup.He made his test debut in 2005 and retired from the longer format of the game nine years later.Dhoni was one of his country’s most successful captains before standing down as skipper of the limited-over teams in 2017. In ODIs, he totaled 10,773 runs, averaging 50. He hit 73 half-centuries and 10 centuries, and also took 321 catches and made 123 stumpings.In T20s, Dhoni made 1,617 runs, averaging 37. He hit two half-centuries, and also took 57 catches and made 34 stumpings.The statsShortly after Dhoni’s announcement, former India all-rounder Suresh Raina also said he was retiring from international cricket “It was nothing but lovely playing with you (Dhoni),” Raina, a Chennai teammate, wrote on Instagram. “With my heart full of pride, I choose to join you in this journey. Thank you India.” As well as 18 tests and 78 T20s, the 33-year-old Raina played in 226 ODIs, where he averaged 35 with the bat, including 36 half-centuries and five 100s, and took 36 wickets. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportscenter_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW DELHI (AP) — India great Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from international cricket on Saturday.“Thanks a lot for your love and support throughout. From 1929 hours consider me as retired,” the 39-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman posted on his Instagram account.The news came as he joined his Chennai Super Kings teammates ahead of next month’s Indian Premier League tournament which will be held in the United Arab Emirates because of the coronavirus pandemic. Associated Press Under his stewardship, India won the T20 World Cup in 2007, the 50-over World Cup in 2011 and the Champions Trophy in 2013. The team also reached the top of the test rankings in 2009 under his leadership.Current top-ranked ODI batsman Virat Kohli, who succeeded Dhoni as India captain, paid an emotional tribute to one of the modern game’s greatest players. “Every cricketer has to end his journey one day, but still when someone you’ve gotten to know so closely announces that decision, you feel the emotion much more,” Kohli said on a social media post. “What you’ve done for the country will always remain in everyone’s heart, but the mutual respect and warmth I’ve received from you will always stay in mine. The world has seen achievements, I’ve seen the person. Thanks for everything skip. I tip my hat to you.” In tests, Dhoni made 4,876 runs with the bat, averaging 38. He hit 33 half-centuries and six centuries, and also took 256 catches and made 38 stumpings.last_img read more

Read More