21 Sep
2020

Van Ginkel set to miss season

first_img Van Ginkel – making only his second start following a summer switch from Vitesse Arnhem – went down after an early challenge from Alex Pritchard and, despite briefly trying to carry on, he soon hobbled off in the 10th minute. It is understood that reports in the Dutch media that the 20-year-old will have surgery on Thursday and is expected to be out for six to nine months are accurate. Chelsea paid around £8million of Van Ginkel in July, but it looks as though his season has now ended after seeing just 97 minutes of action. The Dutchman showed glimpses of his potential during his only other start against Basle in the Champions League, and he also looked impressive when coming off the bench against Hull and Aston Villa in the Barclays Premier League. Chelsea assistant first-team coach Steve Holland said he feared the worst for Van Ginkel after the Capital One Cup clash at the County Ground, which Chelsea won 2-0. “It doesn’t look good,” he said. “He’ll have a scan on Wednesday on an injury to his knee. It’s too early to say (if it’s a bad one) but let’s hope that’s not the case. “It didn’t look good as he came off so early in the game.” The injury also severely hampers Van Ginkel’s chances of making Holland’s World Cup squad. The 20-year-old made his international debut last November and was expected to challenge for a place in Louis van Gaal’s squad for Brazil. Chelsea midfielder Marco van Ginkel tore his anterior cruciate ligament against Swindon on Tuesday and is expected to be out for around six months. Press Association Chelsea later confirmed the Holland midfielder had undergone an operation. A statement on chelseafc.com read: “Chelsea Football Club can confirm Marco van Ginkel successfully underwent anterior cruciate ligament surgery today (Thursday). “The 20-year-old midfielder is expected to be out for approximately six months. “Van Ginkel suffered the knee injury during the first half of our Capital One Cup match at Swindon on Tuesday evening.” last_img read more

Read More
26 Aug
2020

Angels owner Arte Moreno says a Mike Trout extension is still ‘in the front of your mind,’ but no talks yet

first_img Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error ANAHEIM — As the clock ticks away on Mike Trout’s contract, Arte Moreno would only say that he hears it.“Sometimes you have things in the back of your mind, and sometimes you have things in the front of your mind,” the Angels owner said Monday, at the press conference to introduce new manager Brad Ausmus. “That’s one of those things that’s always in the front of your mind.”It was similar to what Moreno said about Trout’s contract in spring training, back when he had three years left on his contract. Now he’s got two.Although there’s been speculation, and a natural assumption, that the Angels would begin negotiating an extension with Trout this winter, Moreno said nothing has happened so far. Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros “We have not talked about it,” Moreno said. “We all communicate. He just had, personally, a real rough end of the year. We’re giving him a lot of space. We just want him and his family to go through the grieving process, so we all try to support each other.”Trout’s brother-in-law, former Angels prospect Aaron Cox, died in August.Trout, 27, will make $34 million each of the next two seasons. He has said that he isn’t yet thinking about his future, beyond saying that the most important thing to him is winning. The Angels have made the playoffs just once in his seven full seasons.Moreno sounded optimistic about making improvements this winter.“I’m not going to tell you that we’re going to spend a ton of money, but we’re going to spend money,” he said, adding that “there is, realistically, a budget. It’s not an endless thing, like a fantasy draft.” Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Although the Angels don’t share their budget publicly, it is believed they have somewhere around $30 million to spend on new players if they want to keep the payroll around where it was in 2018.“We need starting pitching,” he said. “Bullpen help. We blew a lot of games in the last two or three innings. We need more depth in the bullpen.”Offensively, Moreno said the Angels need “a left-handed bat with some power who can play first base, just to fill in.”The Angels have Albert Pujols at first, but he’s coming off knee surgery, so they likely need some coverage if he’s unavailable.Related Articleslast_img read more

Read More