2 Mar
2021

‘The Velvet Underground Experience’ Multimedia Exhibit Is Heading To New York City

first_imgNew York City rock icons The Velvet Underground will be the subject of a new multimedia exhibition, “The Velvet Underground Experience,” set to open in downtown Manhattan from October 10th through December 30th. The exhibit will be housed at 718 Broadway in Manhattan’s NoHo neighborhood, not far from where Lou Reed and company recorded much of their breakthrough album, 1967’s The Velvet Underground & Nico. According to The New York Times, the exhibition will feature photographs, portraits, films, videos, live concerts, musical workshops, and more. As the article notes,In 1965, the Velvet Underground gathered in a cramped loft on Ludlow Street with no bathroom, heat or electricity to begin rehearsing songs that would become the core of their debut album, “The Velvet Underground & Nico.” Nine blocks north and 53 years later, a much bigger space — covering two stories and 12,000 square feet — will house a multimedia exhibition dedicated to the band’s legacy. “The Velvet Underground Experience” is coming to New York from its current home at the Philharmonie de Paris, where it opened two years ago. According to “The Velvet Underground Experience” organizers, since its opening, the Paris edition of the exhibit has brought in more than 65,000 visitors.The exhibition was slated to make its New York debut in Chelsea this past April, but plans fell through. Christian Fevret, the exhibition’s main curator, used the postponed launch to push for a space that was geographically closer to the band’s true roots in the early ’60s downtown Manhattan rock scene.“I’m very proud to be able to able to show New Yorkers that the band has such a big influence everywhere else: not only in America, but in Europe, in Japan, in South America,” Mr. Fevret told the New York Times. “It’s giving back to New York what New York gave us.”Tickets for the New York edition of “The Velvet Underground Experience” go on sale this Friday, August 17th. For more information about “The Velvet Underground Experience,” head here.[H/T Rolling Stone]last_img read more

Read More
22 Sep
2020

Japan withdraws 2023 Women’s World Cup bid

first_imgRelatedPosts Japanese firm develops robot able to kill COVID-19 with ultra-violet rays Tokyo 2020 organisers want ‘Super Mario’ Abe to remain involved NAFDAC warns Nigerians against apple, blackcurrant from Australia The Japanese Football Association announced that Japan is withdrawing its bid to host the 2023 Women’s World Cup, just days before football’s world governing body holds a vote to determine the successful candidate.Following an executive board meeting on Monday, the JFA withdrew its candidacy and decided to support the Australia/New Zealand bid, which will go up against a bid from Colombia. Earlier this month, FIFA rated the joint Australia/New Zealand bid as the best to host the tournament, with Japan in second place.The JFA said a key factor behind their decision was losing the support of the Southeast Asian ASEAN Football Federation, who have publicly said they would support the Australia/New Zealand bid.With the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games now being delayed until next year due to the coronavirus pandemic, the JFA said they found it unlikely one country would be awarded women’s soccer’s two biggest tournaments back-to-back.JFA chairman Kozo Tashima left the door open for another bid in the future.Tags: 2023 Women’s World CupAustraliaColombiJapanNew Zealandlast_img read more

Read More