18 Jan
2021

Virtual 9/11 Ceremony Set For Friday

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Image via SSG Richard Colletta / U.S. Navy.MAYVILLE – The local American Legion and the Chautauqua County Veterans Council will hold a virtual 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony this year because of an uptick in COVID-19 cases.The event will take place at noon on Friday and will be live streamed on the Chautauqua County Government Facebook page.The program is to honor and remember the more than 3,000 Americans killed Sept. 11, 2001, when members of the Islamic extremist group al-Qaeda hijacked four planes and crashed them in the World Trade Center in New York City, the pentagon just outside of Washington, D.C., and a field in Western Pennsylvania.“Due to the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases in the County, this year’s ceremony will not be an in-person event for the public to attend, but I am glad we could partner with our local veterans organizations to offer this ceremony virtually for our residents,” said Chautauqua County Executive PJ Wendel. “I encourage all residents to tune in or pause and take a moment on September 11th to honor and remember those who tragically lost their lives on this horrific day in 2001.” The program will feature words from local dignitaries including Jacqueline Phelps, representative for U.S. Congressman Tom Reed; George Borrello, New York State Senator; Wendel; Greg Carlson, Chautauqua County Veterans Service Agency Director; James Quattrone, Chautauqua County Sheriff; and Susan Rowley, President of the Blue Star Mothers Lake Erie Chapter.For more information, contact Al Crick, at (716) 488-9861.last_img read more

Read More
18 Sep
2020

India great Dhoni retires from international cricket

first_imgIndia great Dhoni retires from international cricket August 15, 2020 Dhoni, who played in 90 tests, 350 one-day internationals and 98 Twenty20s for his country, was dropped from India’s list of 27 centrally contracted players in January.Fellow India great S​achin Tendulkar said Dhoni’s contribution had been immense. “Winning the 2011 World Cup together has been the best moment of my life,” the 47-year-old former batting maestro tweeted. “Wishing you and your family all the very best for your 2nd innings.”Dhoni has not played international cricket since last year’s 50-over World Cup.He made his test debut in 2005 and retired from the longer format of the game nine years later.Dhoni was one of his country’s most successful captains before standing down as skipper of the limited-over teams in 2017. In ODIs, he totaled 10,773 runs, averaging 50. He hit 73 half-centuries and 10 centuries, and also took 321 catches and made 123 stumpings.In T20s, Dhoni made 1,617 runs, averaging 37. He hit two half-centuries, and also took 57 catches and made 34 stumpings.The statsShortly after Dhoni’s announcement, former India all-rounder Suresh Raina also said he was retiring from international cricket “It was nothing but lovely playing with you (Dhoni),” Raina, a Chennai teammate, wrote on Instagram. “With my heart full of pride, I choose to join you in this journey. Thank you India.” As well as 18 tests and 78 T20s, the 33-year-old Raina played in 226 ODIs, where he averaged 35 with the bat, including 36 half-centuries and five 100s, and took 36 wickets. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportscenter_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW DELHI (AP) — India great Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from international cricket on Saturday.“Thanks a lot for your love and support throughout. From 1929 hours consider me as retired,” the 39-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman posted on his Instagram account.The news came as he joined his Chennai Super Kings teammates ahead of next month’s Indian Premier League tournament which will be held in the United Arab Emirates because of the coronavirus pandemic. Associated Press Under his stewardship, India won the T20 World Cup in 2007, the 50-over World Cup in 2011 and the Champions Trophy in 2013. The team also reached the top of the test rankings in 2009 under his leadership.Current top-ranked ODI batsman Virat Kohli, who succeeded Dhoni as India captain, paid an emotional tribute to one of the modern game’s greatest players. “Every cricketer has to end his journey one day, but still when someone you’ve gotten to know so closely announces that decision, you feel the emotion much more,” Kohli said on a social media post. “What you’ve done for the country will always remain in everyone’s heart, but the mutual respect and warmth I’ve received from you will always stay in mine. The world has seen achievements, I’ve seen the person. Thanks for everything skip. I tip my hat to you.” In tests, Dhoni made 4,876 runs with the bat, averaging 38. He hit 33 half-centuries and six centuries, and also took 256 catches and made 38 stumpings.last_img read more

Read More
26 Aug
2020

Donald Sterling agrees to sell Los Angeles Clippers, drop NBA lawsuit

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Marking another drama-filled day for Los Angeles Clippers fans, owner Donald Sterling on Wednesday agreed to sell the franchise and drop his lawsuit against the NBA.Sterling’s attorney Maxwell Blecher said in an email that Sterling reached an agreement with his wife, Shelly Sterling, to sell the franchise to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.Donald Sterling’s apparent change of heart comes just days after he filed a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA, challenging the league’s demand that he sell the basketball team he’s owned since 1981 after disparaging remarks he made about African-Americans were made public.Representatives for Shelly Sterling and Ballmer declined comment Wednesday. As of late Wednesday, Donald Sterling’s lawsuit against the NBA had yet to be withdrawn, according to online court documents.If Donald Sterling indeed drops his lawsuit and sells the team, the move would be unusual for the 80-year-old billionaire, who has a lengthy history of court battles, said Cari Grieb, an adjunct professor of law at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago.“He usually litigates until the end,” Grieb said. “Until at least there is some sort of settlement.”Still, a sale would end the drama sparked by the April release of audio capturing Donald Sterling’s racist remarks, in which he told a female companion he didn’t like her bringing black people to games. The comments prompted the NBA to fine Donald Sterling $2.5 million and begin proceedings to oust him from the league and initiate a sale of the Clippers.The NBA’s action also prompted Shelly Sterling to quickly find a buyer for the team, to avoid the forced sale. Last week, the NBA tentatively approved Shelly Sterling’s pick of Ballmer to own the franchise after the Seattle-based former executive bid $2 billion. The NBA must still approve the deal, a move expected by the end of July.center_img As part of the agreement between Ballmer and Shelly Sterling, the NBA last week said it was withdrawing its pending charge to terminate the Sterlings’ ownership of the team. Shelly Sterling also moved to indemnify the league against any lawsuits, including those brought by her husband.Despite Blecher’s statement Wednesday that Donald Sterling would drop his lawsuit, the real estate magnate has given conflicting statements to the media over the last month.Weeks after the scandal broke, Donald Sterling reportedly signed a document allowing Shelly Sterling to sell the team. Then, last week he apparently changed his mind, and filed a lawsuit against the NBA. Attending a charity event Tuesday night, Donald Sterling told KNBC (Channel 4) that he was ready to “move on.”“I feel fabulous, I feel very good,” Sterling said. “Everything is just the way it should be, really. It may have worked out differently, but it’s good.”The Sterlings were under increasing public pressure to sell the team. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti called for a “clean break” from the Sterlings, while Clippers coach Doc Rivers said last month that it would be “a very hard situation” if Shelly Sterling retained an ownership role going forward.Shelly Sterling ultimately pushed for a quick sale because “she didn’t want to tear the city apart, tear the fan base apart, and tear the Clippers apart,” her best friend, Kathrine Baumann, said in an interview with the Daily News this week.Baumann, who said that the Sterlings’ grandchildren were heckled at school after the Donald Sterling audiotape surfaced, praised her friend’s handling of the sale. “She put this together and delivered it in a neat package to the NBA,” Baumann said.Since the scandal broke, Donald Sterling’s legal moves have been “confusing,” Grieb said. But he is selling now for financial reasons, she surmised.“There comes a point in time when you think, ‘Do you want to keep fighting and incur more legal fees or do you want $2 billion?’” Grieb said.last_img read more

Read More