19 Oct
2020

UK PM gives October 15 deadline for Brexit deal

first_img“So, there is no sense in thinking beyond that point. If we can’t agree by then, then I do not see that there will be a free trade agreement between us.”Should that happen, Britain will have an “Australia-style” deal with the EU or one similar to that agreed with Canada and other countries, he said.Australia trades with the EU under World Trade Organization rules and tariffs. But Johnson, whose government had said it wanted a “zero tariff, zero quota” regime, insisted it would still be a “good outcome” for Britain. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has given an October 15 deadline for a post-Brexit trade agreement with the European Union, brushing off fears about “no-deal” chaos if talks fail.The eighth round of negotiations resume in London this week, with both sides talking increasingly tough, amid accusations of intransigence and political brinkmanship.The UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, did little to raise expectations about a breakthrough, promising no compromise on London’s red lines, in a rare newspaper interview published on Sunday. Topics : His EU opposite number, Michel Barnier, this week said the talks stood or failed on the need to get an accord on EU access to UK fishing waters and state aid rules, but Britain was giving no ground.Brussels has already indicated that mid-October was the latest a deal could be struck, given the need for translation and ratification by the European Parliament.Despite months of refusing to confirm a firm cut-off date, Johnson agreed.”There needs to be an agreement with our European friends by the time of the European Council on October 15 if it’s going to be in force by the end of the year,” he said in remarks released by his office.center_img ‘Full control’ Britain remains bound by EU rules while it tries to thrash out new terms of its relationship.The talks, which were on a tight timetable even before disruption caused by the coronavirus outbreak, have stalled, notably because of wrangling over fishing rights and fair competition rules.Johnson did not rule out a deal altogether and vowed to work hard this month to achieve one. But he pledged Britain “will be ready” if talks break down.”We will have full control over our laws, our rules, and our fishing waters,” he promised. “We will have the freedom to do trade deals with every country in the world. And we will prosper mightily as a result.”We will of course always be ready to talk to our EU friends even in these circumstances.”Our door will never be closed and we will trade as friends and partners –- but without a free-trade agreement.” Door open Johnson’s warning will likely compound criticisms from British pro-EU “remainers” that his ruling Conservative government envisaged a “no-deal” scenario all along, despite claiming the contrary.”Brexiteers” had promised that securing a deal with Britain’s biggest trading partner would be straightforward and rejected criticism that unraveling nearly 50 years of ties with Europe would be lengthy and even impossible.Britain formally left the 27-member bloc on January 31 — nearly four years after a divisive referendum that crippled the country politically and saw two prime ministers resign.Johnson, who took over after Theresa May repeatedly failed to get her Brexit divorce deal through parliament, promised Britain’s borders and ports will be ready for when the so-called transition period comes to an end on December 31.Meanwhile, media reports said Johnson was also planning new UK legislation that would override parts of the withdrawal agreement made with the EU last year and ratified in January.According to The Financial Times, which cited three people close to the plans, the bill would undermine agreements relating to Northern Ireland customs and state aid.A government spokesperson told the newspaper it was “working hard to resolve outstanding issues” with the Northern Ireland protocol, which was negotiated as part of the deal in order to keep the Irish border open.last_img read more

Read More
27 Sep
2020

Portugal decriminalised drugs resulting in teen use doubling in a decade

first_imgDaily Mail 31 October 2014Family First Comment: Drug proponents like the Drug Foundation promote Portugal as the model for decriminalisation of dope. Here’s what they DON’T tell you! The nation held up by the Liberal Democrats yesterday as a shining example of how to win the war on drugs is far from the unqualified success story they make out.For the number of children using drugs in Portugal has more than doubled since the country’s laws were liberalised, the latest figures show. A decade after the law was relaxed, nearly a fifth of 15 and 16-year-olds use drugs – well over twice the number in the years before decriminalisation.The controversial Home Office report commissioned by the Liberal Democrats states: ‘It is clear that there has not been a lasting and significant increase in drug use in Portugal since 2001.’ But the evidence suggests otherwise.The most recent independent report on what is happening in Portugal shows that in 1995 eight per cent of Portuguese teenagers had tried drugs.In 1999, when laws began to be relaxed, it was 12 per cent.But after decriminalisation in 2001, it rose to 18 per cent in 2003 and 19 per cent in 2011. The picture for cannabis use is similar. In 1995, only 7 per cent of Portuguese teens had tried the drug but by 2011 the figure was 16 per cent.READ MORE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2815084/Portugal-decriminalised-drugs-Results-Use-teens-doubled-decade-nearly-fifth-15-16-year-olds-using-drugs.htmllast_img read more

Read More
23 Sep
2020

Police Blotter 9-3-19

first_imgDecatur County EMS Report (22)Decatur County Fire Report (25)Decatur County Incident Report (24)Decatur County Jail Arrest Report (23)Decatur County Jail Arrest Report (24)last_img

Read More
27 Dec
2019

GAA NEWS: NAOMH MUIRE CLUB NOTES

first_imgTreanáil / TrainingTraining continues for u6s, u8s and u10s in the banks every Saturday morning from 10am – 11am.Cluichí / Fixtures The reserve team played Seán Mac Cumhaill in the league on Sunday following the Donegal v Dublin national football league game. The final score was Seán Mac Cumhaill 3-07 Naomh Muire 1-08.The seniors and reserves are back in league action this weekend with a home tie against Bundoran. Reserves at 1:30pm and Seniors at 3:00pm. Tar amach agus tabhair tacaíocht do na foirne le do thoil.Bord na nÓg ➢ The under 14 boys have been busy with league games with an improvement in performance from the team with each game. They are away to Naomh Conaill on Tuesday night and host Dungloe next Monday night in the banks.➢ The minors beat Naomh Brid/Pettigo in a competitive game by 9 points.➢ The under 17 boys and girls teams will travel to Galway this weekend to take part in the comortas peil na gaeltacht 7 a side tournament.➢ Good luck to Aidi o Gara and the Donegal u21 team in the ulster final this Wednesday night.Peil na mBan / Ladies➢ Week 10 of the development camp is on Tuesday 9th April in the banks from 5-6pm. As this is the final session and for the last 10 weeks the girls worked hard in all sessions and attendance by the 28 girls was super. Certificates and Polo-shirts will be made at a club presentation evening later on in the month. “Our Club, Our Standards, Our Victory” ➢ Gaelic4Girls will be starting up on the 15th April in the Banks at 4.45-6.15pm. This will see us make a big push to get girls from 8-13 years involved in sport and hope to get them to join our club after 12 weeks of fun and games and football coaching. We will be in the schools promoting this venture this week from 9th to 11th.➢ U16 and Minor training is Thursdays from 6-7pm in the Banks.➢ We now have girls representing the club at U14, U16, Minor and Senior football for the county. On Saturday 6th in Cork, Caroline Sharkey, Jade O’Donnell and Erika Hanna made the step up to play for the Donegal ladies Senior team. Just rewards for all our girls and the good work being put in by club coaches and committee is starting to bear fruit. Comhghairdeas le club Pheile na mBan Naomh Muire obair ar doigh!Nuacht Eile / Other News KitbagsThere are still a few kitbags available if anyone is interested. Contact Donal O Searcaigh.Jive Alive 2013Ádh mór ar achan nduine a bheas páirteach i Jive Alive an Aoine agus Sathairn seo. Tá obair mhór curtha isteach ag na péirí a bheas ag damhsa agus an lucht eagrúcháin uilig. Go raibh maith agat do dhuine ar bith a cheannaigh ticéid agus tá muid uilig ag súil le dhá oíche bhreá ins an Aislann.Lotto➢ Ba iad 1, 7, 11, 23 na huimhreacha lotto a tarraingeadh an tseachtain seo agus níor baineadh an pota óir.➢ Beidh €1,940 sa phota óir an tseachtain seo chugainn.➢ Bhí trí uimhir ag na daoine seo leanas:• Liz Carlin, Mín na Leice• Margaret Trimble, Loch an Iúir• Margaret Mary McDonald, Cál Chéim• Patrick Gallagher, Mullach Dubh• Anne Sharkey, Béal na Cruite• Molly Boyle, Rann na Feirste• Joe Bán O’Gallochóir, Mín na leiceClub an ChéidSeo leanas buaiteoirí club an chéid do Mí Mhárta:➢ €400.00 Anthony Doherty, Beal na Cruite➢ €200.00 Grace Boyle, Mullach Dubh➢ €100.00 Eddie/Meave Ward, Béal na Cruite➢ €100.00 Phil Duffy, Mín na Craoibhe➢ €50.00 Mickey Rodgers, An Bhráid➢ €50.00 Bartley Brennan, Mín na Leice➢ €50.00 John McGinely, Cál Chéim➢ €50.00 John Boyle, Cál Chéim➢ €50.00 J J Doherty, Rann na Feirste➢ €50.00 Jimmy Rodgers, Baile ChiarraíBeidh an chéad tarraingt eile ann ar an 24ú Aibreán.GAA NEWS: NAOMH MUIRE CLUB NOTES was last modified: April 8th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:NAOMH MUIRE CLUB NOTESlast_img read more

Read More