4 Jun
2021

Wood burning stoves put thatched homes at risk

first_img TAGSfireLimerick City and County CouncilTom Cassidytraditional thatched cottages Call to extend Patrickswell public sewer line Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook New parklet changes Catherine Street dining experience Email Previous articleComptroller and Auditor General’s office to report on UL auditNext articleWin cinema tickets Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. NewsLocal NewsWood burning stoves put thatched homes at riskBy Bernie English – February 24, 2018 2266 Printcenter_img Linkedin Limerick’s O’Connell Street Revitalisation Works to go ahead Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Thatched cottage The owners of traditional thatched cottages who install wood-burning stoves are running a serious risk of having a house fire.That was the message from the Conservation Officer of Limerick City and County Council this week, when he told a meeting of elected members of the council that a number of the county’s thatched cottages had been lost to fire.Conservation Officer, Tom Cassidy was addressing a request to members of the KIlmallock and Cappamore district of the council to remove a listed thatch cottage from the record of protected structures.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up He told the meeting that ten buildings have been lost lost to fires from the protected structures record in Limerick in the last five years.“In many cases, the fires can be attributed to wood-burning stoves being installed. The problem is that in Ireland, we’re not very good at seasoning our wood for two years,” Mr Cassidy told the meeting.“Wood that hasn’t been properly seasoned still contains sap and this adheres to the inside of the flues and catches fire. A wind lifts the material and the thatch goes up.“This happens around two years after a wood burning stove has been installed,” he explained.Mr Cassidy said that the high heat generated by burning wood in a stove can contribute to the hazard.“People should be aware that installing a wood-burning stove in a protected structure requires planning permission. There’s a reason we require people to do these things. Installing a wood burning stove can be the death-knell of a thatched house,” he told the meeting.Asked whether it was possible to control such modifications, Mr Cassidy said his department “does not have enough staff to go around knocking on doors and asking people if they have installed a wood stove”.He told members of the area committee that there are currently more than 200 thatched cottages in county Limerick.More local news here. Ireland’s First Ever Virtual Bat Walk to take place in Limerick Limerick city centre gets a deep clean O’Donnell Welcomes Major Enhancement Works for Castletroy Neighbourhood Park last_img read more

Read More