4 Jun
2021

Fake 50 euro notes in circulation

first_imgTwitter Print Advertisement Linkedin WhatsApp THE NUMBER of fake 50 euro notes circulating in Limerick was up this week, with seven incidents reported to Gardai.The duds were given in exchange for goods in various outlets across Limerick, mainly grocery stores, petrol stations, a pharmacy and a juice bar. In some of the instances the fraudsters managed to con staff, but in other cases, the forgeries were spotted and the notes were not accepted. On a couple of occasions staff held on to the fakes until gardai arrived.One of the culprits involved in trying to use these dud notes is described as a young red haired male of approximately 19 years and reported to have been wearing a navy tracksuit and runners at the time at the time of the attempted fraud.Gardai remind people to make sure and carry out essential security checks on euro notes. Obvious security features should be identified before accepting notes, these include; checking for the watermark, security thread, hologram patch and raised print. The value numeral on the 50 euro note will also change colour from purple to olive green or brown when tilted if the note is a genuine.By taking a few seconds to feel, examine and tilt euro notes, fraudsters can be prevented from passing off their fakes as the real thing.center_img Previous articleCollins family to march in honour of Roy’s deathNext articleLease Market’s Field for soccer, cllr pleads admin Email Facebook NewsLocal NewsFake 50 euro notes in circulationBy admin – May 7, 2009 2497 last_img read more

Read More
20 Dec
2020

Military Counter-Terrorism Specialists Deployed for Confederations Cup in Brazil

first_imgBy Dialogo April 25, 2013 “In Brazil major events were organized in only one city so far, and this time the Confederations Cup will be held in six cities; it will be a test for the World Cup, which will have matches played in 12 cities,” Colonel Nunes, quoted by G1, stated. Although Brazil is not a target of terrorist actions, the injuries and deaths at the recent Boston Marathon attacks in Massachusetts has alarmed the Brazilian authorities. The Soldiers were trained to identify, contain, and prevent possible attacks with chemical, biological, nuclear and radiological weapons. He added that the worst case scenario of a terrorist attack, in his opinion, would be a chemical, biological or nuclear weapons attack. “The risk exists when threat and vulnerability are present. We are going to avoid threats and reduce vulnerability. We are prepared,” he stated. “This week, military groups will visit the cities where the Confederations Cup will be played for an initial reconnaissance,” Colonel Richard Fernandez Nunes, a spokesman for the institution quoted by Globo G1 website, stated. “A coordination center, to prevent and counter terrorism was created in Brasília, as well as an integrated center for tactical coordination in each one of the six cities where the Confederations Cup will be held,” from June 15 to 30, the Army told AFP in a statement. According to the Army, the creation of this center to prevent terrorism is necessary “due to the current international terrorism threats.” On April 22 the Brazilian Army reported that 1,200 military specialists will be deployed in the fight against terrorism and chemical weapons, to guarantee the security of the 2013 Confederations Cup, which starts on June 15. “They will meet with those responsible for the security and safety in the host cities of Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Recife, Salvador and Brasília, in order to identify vulnerable places and act accordingly to prevent any incident. Reports will provide important information about how to work with the local police,” he said. last_img read more

Read More
16 Sep
2020

Turning pro is worth the wait

first_imgFor college athletes, making it to the pros is the dream, and for a vast majority of them, it’s a dream that can’t wait one or two years.Playing out all four years of eligibility is considered a stigma for NBA teams, who back away from an older prospect who needed more time to develop. Conversely, players feel the push from family, friends and agents to enter the draft and start earning a paycheck as soon as possible.Granted, out of the 60 players selected in the 2016 NBA Draft in Brooklyn last Thursday, a quarter of them were seniors. But a record 30 underclassmen, including USC’s Nikola Jovanovic and Julian Jacobs, went undrafted.That number is way too high, considering the NCAA altered its rules this year to give underclassmen more flexibility and time to choose to stay in school. In prior years, student-athletes had to declare for the draft in April before the draft combine in May. But now, players have until a week after the combine and can work out with one NBA team before making a decision, as long as they don’t hire an agent. This allows them to gauge interest and likelihood that they will be selected and for them to remain in school if the feedback is unsatisfactory.For a prospect, an invite to the combine means they are on teams’ radar. Only two of the college players drafted this year did not receive an invite. Still, the rule change did not deter many eager NBA hopefuls. Neither Jacobs nor Jovanovic received an invite, but Jacobs had already hired an agent and Jovanovic went ahead and hired an agent anyway, even after being snubbed for the combine.Jovanovic didn’t appear on many mock drafts, and being from Serbia, may receive some interest overseas. Jacobs was projected by some as a late second round selection, but went uncalled and could be bound for the D-League. Both juniors last season with a year of college eligibility left, we can only imagine what next year’s team would have looked like with the full squad returning and how much both of them would have improved with one more year to develop.There certainly would have been no shame in that. USC, a team on the up-and-up after a breakthrough season in which it made its first NCAA tournament appearance in five years, seemed primed to return all its starters and key bench players and make a deeper run in 2017. But a slew of underclassmen either transferred or graduated early, and Jacobs and Jovanovic, who could have bolstered their draft status with another year of development and being leaders on a team that experts had in the top-20 nationally in preseason rankings, decided to take a gamble.It’s a gamble that did not pay off for anyone. The Trojans will likely slip out of the Top 25 in future rankings and have to adjust to life without two of their top players, while Jacobs and Jovanovic face an uphill climb to stepping foot in the NBA.To be fair, every prospect’s situation is different. Some need the money immediately to support their families. Others may feel like they’re ready and don’t want to risk a major injury in college, or they’re happy with playing in the D-League or overseas if they’re not selected.But it’s also fair to say the majority of undrafted underclassmen would benefit from another year to develop, improve and potentially have a breakthrough, not to mention graduating and earning a valuable college degree.Contrary to popular opinion, staying all four years — especially for players who aren’t hotshot prospects — should not be a scarlet letter. I have no issue with guys like Ben Simmons or Anthony Davis who go “one-and-done” in college in order to maximize their career value. But those talents are few and far between, and it’s not like there is zero track record of four-year players having success in the pros.Draymond Green, who spent four years at Michigan State, immediately comes to mind. The 35th overall pick in 2012, Green exceeded expectations when he made the All-Star team last season. His versatility and high basketball IQ is apparent, and can be partially attributed to staying in school and gaining valuable experience and development before turning pro. He’s not alone – Tim Duncan, Damian Lillard, Chandler Parsons and David West are just some other four-year players who have seen tremendous success in the NBA.It’s entirely possible that Jacobs and Jovanovic would not have been drafted next year, either. Nonetheless, I would sleep better at night knowing that I took full advantage of the scholarship I was given, maxed out all the development and experience I could get at the college level, received my diploma and entered the draft as the best player and person I could possibly be. But, as someone whose NBA dreams died a long time ago in my local YMCA league, that’s easy for me to say. Others with more realistic dreams have no time to waste, even just one more year.Eric He is a rising sophomore majoring in print and digital journalism. His column,  “Grinding Gears,” runs Wednesdays.last_img read more

Read More