26 Aug
2020

Angels owner Arte Moreno says a Mike Trout extension is still ‘in the front of your mind,’ but no talks yet

first_img Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error ANAHEIM — As the clock ticks away on Mike Trout’s contract, Arte Moreno would only say that he hears it.“Sometimes you have things in the back of your mind, and sometimes you have things in the front of your mind,” the Angels owner said Monday, at the press conference to introduce new manager Brad Ausmus. “That’s one of those things that’s always in the front of your mind.”It was similar to what Moreno said about Trout’s contract in spring training, back when he had three years left on his contract. Now he’s got two.Although there’s been speculation, and a natural assumption, that the Angels would begin negotiating an extension with Trout this winter, Moreno said nothing has happened so far. Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros “We have not talked about it,” Moreno said. “We all communicate. He just had, personally, a real rough end of the year. We’re giving him a lot of space. We just want him and his family to go through the grieving process, so we all try to support each other.”Trout’s brother-in-law, former Angels prospect Aaron Cox, died in August.Trout, 27, will make $34 million each of the next two seasons. He has said that he isn’t yet thinking about his future, beyond saying that the most important thing to him is winning. The Angels have made the playoffs just once in his seven full seasons.Moreno sounded optimistic about making improvements this winter.“I’m not going to tell you that we’re going to spend a ton of money, but we’re going to spend money,” he said, adding that “there is, realistically, a budget. It’s not an endless thing, like a fantasy draft.” Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Although the Angels don’t share their budget publicly, it is believed they have somewhere around $30 million to spend on new players if they want to keep the payroll around where it was in 2018.“We need starting pitching,” he said. “Bullpen help. We blew a lot of games in the last two or three innings. We need more depth in the bullpen.”Offensively, Moreno said the Angels need “a left-handed bat with some power who can play first base, just to fill in.”The Angels have Albert Pujols at first, but he’s coming off knee surgery, so they likely need some coverage if he’s unavailable.Related Articleslast_img read more

Read More
16 Aug
2020

FC Sarajevo to play against BATE Borisov on Thursday

first_imgThe BATE Borisov football players and the professional staff arrived at the Zenica Hotel at around 11 o’clock on Wednesday, and will play a match against Football Club Sarajevo on Thursday at Bilino Polje.The BATE team in Zenica arrived in a visibly good mood, and team coach Alyaksey Anatolyevich Baha was also in the mood for a brief statement saying that they ready arrived to Zenica.“We have been preparing for this match, we have analyzed their matches, especially with Celtic and we know where they are dangerous. We have that experience that we are better at playing matches internationally, but I believe it will be one difficult match,” Anatolyevich said for Klix.ba news portal.The BATE Borisov and Sarajevo team will hold press conferences and official trainings on Wednesday evening at Bilino Polje stadium, which will be open to media representatives for 15 minutes, with the game being played tomorrow at 19:45 o’clock.last_img read more

Read More
11 Jan
2020

Ex-Duarte man guilty in killing

first_img“I wanted him acquitted. I never thought they had enough evidence,” Khan said. Prosecutors tried Jacobo three times times for the April 27, 1999, slaying of Julio Perez whose skull was fractured and who was still alive when he was thrown off Highway 39. His body was found lying 350 feet down a slope near Crystal Lake. Witnesses last saw Perez with Jacobo outside the Leon del Mar bar at Durfee and Elliott avenues in El Monte. Earlier at the bar, a witness said Perez told Jacobo he knew him and that he had drugs. Jacobo denied having drugs. The prosecution theorized Jacobo drove his car with an injured Perez up to mile marker 40 in the Angeles National Forest to kill him and get rid of the body. The motive in the killing remains unknown. But Usher said the prosecution wasn’t required to prove motive. “We have the evidence to show he did it,” she said. A cigarette butt found at the mountain site had Jacobo’s DNA and blood found in his car turned out to be from the victim. Jacobo’s first trial in 2000 ended with him being convicted of first-degree murder. But the conviction was overturned be- cause one of the jurors didn’t disclose his prejudice against Latinos. The second trial ended in a hung jury in January. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2718160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POMONA- A jury Tuesday found a former Duarte man guilty of beating, strangling and throwing an El Monte man down a mountainside in 1999. They convicted Jose Jacobo of second-degree murder but acquitted him of first-degree murder. The 38-year-old Jacobo will be back at Pomona Superior Court April 9 for sentencing. He faces 15 years to life, said Deputy District Attorney Pamela Tamu Usher. Deputy Public Defender Reema Khan said she was saddened by the verdict. last_img read more

Read More