12 Jun
2021

US – #WeeklyAddress: November 19 – November 25: White House releases new press guidelines after restoring Jim Acosta’s press pass

first_img White House releases new press guidelines after restoring Jim Acosta’s press passCNN dropped its lawsuit against the White House on November 19 after White House officials informed the network it would restore Chief White House Correspondent Jim Acosta’s press pass so long as he abides by a new set of press conference rules. White House reporters have expressed concerns about the White House’s attempts to dictate how they carry out their jobs. For more information, read RSF’s press release on the incident. April 28, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say The United States ranks 45th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year. Organisation Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information News WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Mississippi Senator demanded no audience or press attend Senate debate November 26, 2018 US – #WeeklyAddress: November 19 – November 25: White House releases new press guidelines after restoring Jim Acosta’s press pass Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of November 19 – November 25: SAUL LOEB / AFP For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en. United StatesAmericas center_img News United StatesAmericas President Trump criticizes “Fake 60 Minutes” for reporting “phony story” on family separation Republican Mississippi Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith demanded there be no audience or outside press at a US Senate debate for the Mississippi runoff election on November 20. According to the Jackson Free Press, Hyde-Smith only wanted the debate moderator, panelists and production team present as she faced off against Democratic candidate Mike Espy for a seat in the Senate. In a public statement, Espy’s communications director said: “The Espy campaign fought for access and transparency for tonight’s debate. Cindy Hyde-Smith has limited access for the press and for the people of Mississippi at every step of her campaign.” Hyde-Smith also requested and was granted other accommodations, to which an anonymous source for the Jackson Free Press alleged that the debate was essentially “rigged for her to win.” Nonetheless, journalists were granted access to the debate and had the opportunity to ask follow-up questions. Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Follow the news on United States June 3, 2021 Find out more News News President Donald Trump attacked a “60 Minutes” investigation on November 25 for reporting what he called a “phony story” on child separation at the US-Mexico border. The investigation found the administration’s family separations had been going for longer than previously thought. In the first of two tweets, the president accused the “60 Minutes” investigation of including a photo of “children in jails,” also used by “other Fake Media,” dating back to the Obama administration. According to The Washington Post, Trump was likely referencing a 2014 Associated Press photo that was shared after his policy was first made public. “60 Minutes” did not use this photo. In the second tweet, he wrote that former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush had also separated children from their families “because that is policy and law” and proceeded to call the segment “Fake 60 Minutes.” As president, Obama separated families under different circumstances and did not enforce a “zero tolerance” policy. President Trump has since been widely criticized. The program’s executive editor Bill Owens told The Washington Post that “we stand by our story.” The president has frequently referred to news outlets that have criticized him and his administration as “fake.” to go further June 7, 2021 Find out more RSF_en last_img read more

Read More
4 Jun
2021

Give closed garda stations back to community

first_imgEmail by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected] Garda stations should be given back to the communities they served and not be sold off for “paltry sums”, according to a county Limerick barrister and local election candidate.Independent candidate for Limerick west, Emmett O’Brien said Garda Stations were like post offices and the Government should stop its assault on rural Ireland and offer them to community organisations for local activities until such time as they are re-opened for their intended use.The former Fianna Fáil national executive member said on his canvass in the Askeaton, Kilcornan and Adare areas he was alarmed at the amount of people asking why Askeaton Garda station was now only open for an hour a day.“It was totally wrong that Askeaton Garda station, serving such a large area, was reduced from a Garda district headquarters to a Garda station with no appointed sergeant. We led a successful campaign to keep Pallaskenry Garda station open and this was achieved by a strong community campaign”.He added that the people in the Askeaton area needed a strong Garda presence as there had been a spate of burglaries in the area in recent weeks and the elderly are living in fear.“The decline of rural Ireland is worrying. In Limerick alone, 11 banks, 116 pubs and 6 Garda stations have closed since 2008. We need active voices in our communities to stop this decline.“I have seen the loss of vibrancy in our communities. The feeling on the ground continues to be disappointment with the main political parties and the people are looking for an alternative”, he declared. Print Twitter TAGSgarda stationsjusticeMusic Limerickshatter Advertisement #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ NewsCommunityCrime & CourtGive closed garda stations back to communityBy Staff Reporter – April 7, 2014 1175 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Linkedincenter_img Facebook Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick WhatsApp Previous articleLimerick roller girls get Ireland’s callNext articleSearch to resume for missing county Limerick woman Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR New Music: 40Hurtzlast_img read more

Read More
27 May
2021

HET finds former soldier lied about 1975 Derry death

first_img Twitter HET finds former soldier lied about 1975 Derry death Previous article88 year old man admits raping five women over a 15 year periodNext articleBunlin Bridge closed after serious collision News Highland 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th WhatsApp Pinterest Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry By News Highland – October 18, 2010 Google+ Twittercenter_img Pinterest Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp The Historical Enquiries Team has found that a former soldier lied about the fatal shooting of a woman in Derry in 1975.The HET report concludes a claim that 22-year-old Bernadette Friel sustained the single wound during a game of “Russian Roulette” was fabricated.The report says Thomas Ramsay deliberately shot her and then told investigators a series of lies about what happened. Ms Friel, who had a four-year-old son, died from a single wound to the head, two days after she was shot in the bedroom of Ramsay’s home in the Carnhill area of Derry.Ramsay had been charged with murder, but the charge was reduced to manslaughter, after the Director of Public Prosecutions accepted his version of events. He subsequently spent eight months in jail. Facebook News Facebook Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan firelast_img read more

Read More