27 Oct
2019

Newcastle seal Barreca loan from Monaco

first_imgNewcastle United have completed their first piece of January transfer business with a deadline day loan deal for Monaco left-back Antonio Barreca, on a six-month contract.The former Italy youth international arrives at St James’ Park from Ligue 1 on a temporary basis, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer if his stint meets expectations.The 23-year-old only joined Monaco last summer but the French outfit has suffered a tumultuous 2018-19 campaign that has seen them both hire and fire Thierry Henry as head coach. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Speaking to the club’s NUTV channel following his arrival, Barreca expressed his excitement at linking up with the Magpies, admitting the lure of the club’s legacy and the Premier League was too good to pass up.“I am very happy to be here,” he stated. “I have accepted this challenge with a great deal of enthusiasm and I can’t wait to start.“I know that Newcastle is a big and historic club. I know that the people here really love football and that the fans are really behind the team.“I think that the Premier League is the best league, so for me, this is further motivation to do well.”Newcastle United are pleased to confirm that defender Antonio Barreca has joined the club on loan for the rest of the season, with an option to buy, from @AS_Monaco.Full story: https://t.co/ly3BJbHdUZ #NUFC pic.twitter.com/afB0RPiOCL— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) January 31, 2019Barreca’s arrival is the first official arrival at the club this January, though the signing of Atlanta United star and Paraguay international Miguel Almiron is also expected to be confirmed later today.Commenting on his latest acquisition, manager Rafa Benitez, who has previously expressed his frustration at the lack of transfer action on Tyneside, added: “The left-back/left-wing-back position is one we’ve been looking to strengthen for a while.“He’s an Italy under-21 international who we know has quality, good delivery and is good going forward. He has the attributes, he has the quality and he has the characteristics that we look for.“Now we must see how quickly he can adapt, but we will try to help him and if he can give us more competition in this area, and more quality in the final third with his deliveries, the only thing I can see is a positive.”Newcastle, who delivered a shock victory over champions Manchester City on Tuesday, travel to face Tottenham at Wembley this weekend.last_img read more

Read More
25 Sep
2019

Two children dead and four others in hospital following major incident in

We can confirm that this is not a shooting— SouthYorkshirePolice (@syptweet) May 24, 2019 Two boys have died and four other children are in hospital following an incident at a house in the Shiregreen area of Sheffield.The two boys, who were both pupils at Firth Park Academy, were aged 13 and 14, South Yorkshire Police said. A 37-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident and remained in custody.Police said the four injured children were conscious but remained in hospital.Detectives refused to discuss the relationship of the people in custody with the victims, but said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said officers were called to the property at around 7.30am on Friday after a third party expressed concern for the welfare of those inside.Yorkshire Ambulance Service and Yorkshire Air Ambulance attended the scene and transported six children to hospital.The incident took place close to the Hartley Brook primary school and witnesses reported seeing the air ambulance land in the grounds of the school. The house where the incident took place has been sealed off Local residents claimed they had seen two children being taken out of the house by paramedics before being rushed away in an ambulance.They also reported seeing a man and a woman being taken away from the property in handcuffs. The house where the incident took place has been sealed off There is a huge police presence in the Shiregreen area of the city  There were initial reports that the incident involved firearms, but South Yorkshire police denied that there had been a shooting. There is a huge police presence in the Shiregreen area of the city  Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Jonathan Campbell,50, who lives a few doors up from the house where the incident took place, spoke of his shock. He said: “The police knocked on our doorstep and told us there had been a domestic. It was quite a shock to see so many police cars and ambulances outside. I saw a baby of about six months old being carried to an ambulance by a paramedic. “I had never seen the kids or the parents before – they can’t have lived here long Mick Whittaker, 61, milkman who has lived on the same street for 11 years, said: “I pulled up from my round at about 8am and there were sirens wailing down the street. Twenty minutes later the air ambulance landed in Hartley Brook school.”I didn’t know the family and asking around it seems nobody did. There have been sirens down that end of the street before but this is horrific.” Crime scene investigators were spotted arriving at the scene shortly after 10.30am.Detective Chief Inspector Simon Palmer said: “Detectives and specialist officers remain in the Gregg House Road area carrying out inquiries and we are working hard to ascertain the exact circumstances surrounding this incident.It is understood the youngsters were taken to The Sheffield Children’s Hospital in the Broomhill area of the city.It is understood the two dead boys were pupils at the Firth Park Academy close to the scene.A statement posted on the school’s website read: “It is with great sadness that we can confirm that two of our students, died in tragic circumstances this morning. “As this is a Police matter, we are not able to provide any further detail at the moment. Our deepest condolences are with the family and their friends during this difficult time.”We will be providing the appropriate support to our students and staff to help them to come to terms with what has happened. Terrible things can happen in life and there are specialists there to help and who are now helping. We must all look after each other.” read more

Read More