24 Sep
2020

Arsenal fans want Wenger back as new chairman

first_img “We’re just starting to move on into the future of Arsenal. It’s going to take time but I believe introducing Wenger back into the club would be stepping into the past.” Wenger, 70, left Arsenal in May 2018 after spearheading the club for 22 years and took up the role of head of global football at Fifa in November last year. But it seems fans will be disappointed anyway after owner Stan Kroenke said in a statement that there will be no new additions to the board. A statement on the Arsenal website read: “Moving forward the board will be composed of Stan Kroenke, Josh Kroenke, Lord Harris and Ken Friar.” Speaking of his departure, Sir Chips, a former chairman of Hambros Bank and director of the Bank of England, said: “It has been an honour to be the chairman of this great football club. “Arsenal has always held a special place in my life and that will remain the case in the future. read also:Ex-Arsenal captain: Wenger better than Pep and Jose “I made my plan to retire at the end of this season clear to the board, before the global health crisis we are now experiencing. The club is in safe hands with Stan and Josh, the board and the executive team. “I know Arsenal will emerge strongly from this situation and I look forward, like all our supporters around the world, to seeing the team in action as soon as possible.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Lifelong fan Sir Chips, 80, stood down today after 15 years on the club’s board. And almost as soon as it was announced, Arsenal supporters took to social media to demand a return of Wenger. Funny, really, considering how vociferous the Wenger Out movement was during the French legend’s final few years in North London. Still, in reply to one tweet asking if Arsenal fans would have Wenger back, one joked: “I would even take him as a player.” Another posted: “That shouldn’t be a question. We need him there at our club.” A fellow supporter wrote: “He’s got the eye to spot crazy talented youngsters, he understands the club more than anyone.” Another reply read: “Hundred percent but he’d never do it.” Some disagreed however, with one stating: “Think the club needs a good long break from Wenger if I’m honest. Arsenal fans have called for Arsene Wenger to “come home” as the club’s new chairman after Sir Chips Keswick announced his retirement. Loading… Promoted Content10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest Pocket8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo8 Shows You Didn’t Want To Watch At The EndWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Top 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs10 Stargazing Locations To ‘Connect With Nature’last_img read more

Read More
18 Sep
2020

India great Dhoni retires from international cricket

first_imgIndia great Dhoni retires from international cricket August 15, 2020 Dhoni, who played in 90 tests, 350 one-day internationals and 98 Twenty20s for his country, was dropped from India’s list of 27 centrally contracted players in January.Fellow India great S​achin Tendulkar said Dhoni’s contribution had been immense. “Winning the 2011 World Cup together has been the best moment of my life,” the 47-year-old former batting maestro tweeted. “Wishing you and your family all the very best for your 2nd innings.”Dhoni has not played international cricket since last year’s 50-over World Cup.He made his test debut in 2005 and retired from the longer format of the game nine years later.Dhoni was one of his country’s most successful captains before standing down as skipper of the limited-over teams in 2017. In ODIs, he totaled 10,773 runs, averaging 50. He hit 73 half-centuries and 10 centuries, and also took 321 catches and made 123 stumpings.In T20s, Dhoni made 1,617 runs, averaging 37. He hit two half-centuries, and also took 57 catches and made 34 stumpings.The statsShortly after Dhoni’s announcement, former India all-rounder Suresh Raina also said he was retiring from international cricket “It was nothing but lovely playing with you (Dhoni),” Raina, a Chennai teammate, wrote on Instagram. “With my heart full of pride, I choose to join you in this journey. Thank you India.” As well as 18 tests and 78 T20s, the 33-year-old Raina played in 226 ODIs, where he averaged 35 with the bat, including 36 half-centuries and five 100s, and took 36 wickets. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportscenter_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW DELHI (AP) — India great Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from international cricket on Saturday.“Thanks a lot for your love and support throughout. From 1929 hours consider me as retired,” the 39-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman posted on his Instagram account.The news came as he joined his Chennai Super Kings teammates ahead of next month’s Indian Premier League tournament which will be held in the United Arab Emirates because of the coronavirus pandemic. Associated Press Under his stewardship, India won the T20 World Cup in 2007, the 50-over World Cup in 2011 and the Champions Trophy in 2013. The team also reached the top of the test rankings in 2009 under his leadership.Current top-ranked ODI batsman Virat Kohli, who succeeded Dhoni as India captain, paid an emotional tribute to one of the modern game’s greatest players. “Every cricketer has to end his journey one day, but still when someone you’ve gotten to know so closely announces that decision, you feel the emotion much more,” Kohli said on a social media post. “What you’ve done for the country will always remain in everyone’s heart, but the mutual respect and warmth I’ve received from you will always stay in mine. The world has seen achievements, I’ve seen the person. Thanks for everything skip. I tip my hat to you.” In tests, Dhoni made 4,876 runs with the bat, averaging 38. He hit 33 half-centuries and six centuries, and also took 256 catches and made 38 stumpings.last_img read more

Read More
17 Sep
2020

Fontan sparks Trojans

first_imgOn the basketball court, USC junior guard Jio Fontan is used to success.At powerhouse St. Anthony High School (N.J.), the Paterson, N.J. native was a three-year letterman. As a sophomore, his team went 24-2 in the regular season before bowing out to eventual New Jersey state champion St. Patrick’s in the round of 16.Fast start · Despite not playing in the Trojans’ early season games, junior guard Jio Fontan has made a strong first impression on teammates while helping USC to a 4-2 record with him in the lineup. Fontan and the Trojans face Oregon and Oregon State in Pac-10 play this weekend. – Tim Tran | Daily Trojan As a junior, the Friars went undefeated in the regular season before again falling again at the hands of St. Patrick’s, who would go on to defend their state title.As a senior co-captain, he helped lead St. Anthony’s to another undefeated regular season, and the Friars finally avenged their losses to St. Patrick’s en-route to a 32-0 season and a state and national championship.Five of his teammates received Division I scholarship offers to school like Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Kansas.While not as heavily recruited, Fontan was still nationally-ranked as a point guard and considered schools such as St. John’s and George Mason, but eventually committed to play across the Hudson River at Fordham University in New York, attempting to turn around the once proud program.Fontan found personal success immediately, leading Fordham in both scoring and assists as a freshman, and earning a spot on the Atlantic-10 All-Rookie team. But the Rams went just 3-25, and Fontan requested to be released from his scholarship. Following a 1-4 start in 2009, the school granted his release.“I wanted to get out of Fordham,” Fontan said. “I was not happy with the situation there. I did not feel comfortable, and I did not like the direction that the program was headed in.”It was a big risk for Fontan, who had no visits planned or transfer offers at the time of his release. He quickly found himself being recruited, however, by several major programs, including Tennessee, Miami and Alabama, but ultimately committed to the Trojans after watching them rout then-No. 9 Tennessee in December 2009.Fontan enrolled at USC in spring 2010, but because of NCAA transfer rules was not eligible to play for a year following his transfer. Nonetheless, he reaped praise from teammates and coaches alike, especially for his court leadership.“He’s going to lift our team up a couple more levels, just by his presence, his ability, his leadership,” said USC coach Kevin O’Neill after Fontan’s transfer. “I’ve been coaching basketball for 30 years, and unless I’m completely out of my mind, he’s going to be the best leader I’ve ever coached.”“The thing about Jio, everything he says, people listen,” said senior guard Marcus Simmons.Since he first took the court as a Trojan, that leadership ability has clearly manifested itself.His debut came against the No. 3 Kansas Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kan. where the Jayhawks had won 64 consecutive games.  Although USC ended up losing by two points, Fontan started, played 35 minutes, scored 15 points and was an integral part of the Trojans’ 14-point comeback in the second half.Three days later, he scored 13 points in 30 minutes as the Trojans knocked off then-No. 18 Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn.In just his third game as a Trojan, Fontan led the team in scoring with 21 points in a win over Lehigh. In fact, he has scored double digits and played at least 30 minutes in five of his six games as a Trojan, and USC, as a result, is 4-2 in that span.“If we did not have Jio these last six games, we would be 2-4 or 1-5,” O’Neill said.“He is a commander on the court,” said senior forward Alex Stepheson. “He is able to guide and help the other wing players, especially the younger guys.”Despite the accliam, Fontan is not satisfied. “I am my biggest critic,” he said. “I don’t feel I’ve played a complete game yet.”Fontan, however, not only sees room for improvement in himself, but in the team.“We need to do a better job playing a complete game,” he said. “At times, we take too many plays off and fall asleep on defense or take bad shots on offense. We have not hit our peak yet, and that is a beautiful thing.”But overall, Fontan is quite happy at USC, saying the “best part about USC is the weather,” and that he even texts his dad, Jorge, back in New Jersey to compare it.In fact, Fontan likes it so much he says he wishes his family could relocate with him to Southern California.On the basketball side, Fontan says he is “getting more and more comfortable adjusting,” and O’Neill certainly agrees.“He’s our glue out there,” said the second-year coach. “He leads us.”Before arriving at USC, Fontan said his vision was “to play major minutes right away and help this team as much as possible.”Through six games starting in the Trojans’ backcourt, there remains little doubt he’s done that.last_img read more

Read More
8 Sep
2020

U-20 WOMEN’S WORLD CUP: Falconets in Decisive Clash with China for…

first_imgTODAY(12:30)Japan v ParaguaySpain v USA(3:30)Germany v HaitiChina PR v China “We have no illusions. The Chinese squad is a very ambitious one too, and we have to be at our best to overcome them. We will go out there and give our very best,” Coach Danjuma sounded out this warning to his players ahead of this ultimate Group D clash. Nigeria will reach the competition’s knockout stages for the seventh time in nine editions if they avoid defeat against the Chinese at the Stade de Clos Gastel in Dinan/Lehon.A solitary strike from the penalty spot, by stand-in skipper Rasheedat Ajibade, earned the maximum points against Haiti on Thursday and took the Falconets to second spot in Group D, on goals balance from the Far East Asians, whose 2-1 defeat of Haiti and 0-2 loss to the Germans meant they have a deficit going into today’s decider in Brittany.“It is going to be a very busy encounter from the first blast of the whistle. We are not expecting an easy match. I said from the beginning that if we must reach the Final, we have to play and overcome very tough teams,” Coach Danjuma restated. Certainly, the bigger pressure is on the Chinese, who have to win to secure a place in the last eight.  Right-wing optimists still expect goals-girl Rasheedat Ajibade to dazzle at this championship despite a slow start to the campaign, but many are those who have become impatient wondering when the FC Robo Queens ace forward will deliver on her awesome talent and promise at the World Cup finals.She merely opened a window on her ability at the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Costa Rica in 2014 (where Nigeria fell at the quarter final hurdle) and could not make the difference when the Falconets were bumped at the group phase during the last World Cup finals in Papua New Guinea two years ago.Highly rated at home and a firebrand finisher in African qualifying matches, Ajibade has yet to convince at the World Cup.However, today is another day and a spot in the quarter finals could just fire her and the likes of Anam Imo, Chidinma Okeke and Peace Efih to sublime performance in France.World Cup runners-up in 2010 and 2014, semi finalists once and quarter finalists on three occasions, only twice before have the Falconets failed to advance beyond the group phase at this championship.That was at the first edition in Canada in 2002, when a hurriedly assembled squad struggled, and two years ago, when the Nigerian girls were on the plane back home before the quarter finals despite winning two of three matches and finishing with six points.China’s fast-paced game could prove a handful for Nigeria, and the efficiency of long-limbed Chiamaka Nnadozie in goal and the stout defending of Sunday Opeyemi, Mary Ologbosere, Glory Ogbonna and Oluwakemi Famuditi would be required to keep the Asians at bay.Nnadozie has been Nigeria’s revelation of this tournament so far, pulling off a number of magnificent saves against 2010 and 2014 champions Germany and against the Haitians.She was rewarded with the ‘Dare To Dream’ Player of the Match gong against the Haitians. This was a player who was down the pecking order during the African qualifying series, when Onyinyechukwu Okeke held sway in goal.To qualify for the finals, the Nigerian girls pumped nine goals past their Tanzanian counterparts without conceding any, and then secured a 6-2 aggregate win over Morocco.In the final qualifying fixture, they blew South Africa apart 8-0 on aggregate, making for a total of 23 goals for and only two against. RESULTSNetherlands 0-4 FranceGhana 1-0  New ZealandBrazil 1-2 KoreaEngland 6-1 MexicoShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram By Duro IkhazuagbeNigeria’s Falconets need just a draw against China this afternoon to progress to the quarter-final stage of the on-going 9th FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in France.The match is not going to be an easy one for the Christopher Danjuma wards who are as ambitious as the class of  2010 and 2014 who played in the finals of those two editions. GROUP D                      P     W    D    L    GF  GA  -/+    PGermany       2       2     0     0     3     0      +3    6Nigeria          2       1     0     1      1     1       0    3China            2       1     0     1      2     3       -1   3Haiti              2       0     0     2      1    3        -2    0last_img read more

Read More
15 Aug
2019

Citizens First Wholesale Mortgage Announces New President

first_imgCitizens First Wholesale Mortgage Announces New President “”Citizens First Wholesale Mortgage Company””:https://www.cfwmortgage.com/ has welcomed a new president. The Florida-based organization recently announced the springtime appointment of Jonathan L. Woods to the executive role.[IMAGE]Boasting more than two decades of industry experience, Woods will head up Citizens First’s mortgage and servicing operations. Prior to joining Citizens First, Woods has held diverse roles throughout the real estate financing industry, including working [COLUMN_BREAK]as a consultant for “”RP Funding’s””:www.rpfunding.com/ investor loan programs and investor relationships.As the company president, Woods will be responsible for all aspects of Citizens First’s retail mortgage originations operations. Additionally, he will oversee the adequacy and soundness of the company’s financial structure.The company has also deployed a new technology strategy to start the summer season, and Citizens First recently went public with its decision to select an enterprise loan origination system from “”Blueberry Systems, LLC””:http://www.blueberrysystems.com/. Citizens First chose Blueberry’s Relay platform to enhance and streamline its loan production and processing.Woods weighed in on Citizens First’s technology upgrade, stating, “”At Citizens First, we seek opportunities for growth, progress and efficiency while committing ourselves to excellence. As part of that commitment, we have selected Blueberry Systems to provide our institution with an end-to-end solution that takes us from application to post-closing. Their solution gives us the scale and leverage to confidently face the increasing burdens of government and investor demands without requiring additional resources. Our loan production process will be simplified and streamlined from start to finish.”” Agents & Brokers Attorneys & Title Companies Investors Lenders & Servicers Movers & Shakers Processing Service Providers 2012-06-06 Abby Gregory Sharecenter_img in Data, Government, Origination, Secondary Market, Servicing, Technology June 6, 2012 575 Views last_img read more

Read More