5 Sep
2019

Karan Johar Kangana Ranaut is one of the best actresses we have

first_imgKaran Johar and Kangana RanautVarinder ChawlaEver since Kangana Ranaut called out Nepotism on Koffee with Karan, and stirred up a debate which has engulfed the Industry, the tussle between Kangana and Karan has been cropping up time and again. Kangana stood ground and continued to speak about how such practices prevented genuine talent from making a mark in the Industry and Johar and his allies also took various digs at Kangana including interviews and award shows.But, recently, in an interview, Johar reportedly lauded Kangana, called her one of the best in the Industry and even said that he would be comfortable directing Kangana. As per reports, in a segment in a recent chat show, Karan Johar was asked by the CEO of Dharma Productions and very close friend Apoorva Mehta, whether he would be comfortable directing Kangana anytime soon. Much to the surprise of everyone, Karan promptly replied, “Yes, for sure. Kangana is one of the best actresses we have.”Interestingly, in an interview with Huffington Post also a couple of months ago, Johar had said that he had no problem with Kangana and if she was required for a film, he will work with her. However this time, he went on to admit that Kangana was one of the best in Bollywood.On the professional front, Kangana is currently shooting for Panga, and will then dive into promotions of Mental Hai Kya, post which she will start work on Jayalalithaa biopic. The actress also revealed that she was also preparing to announce another Directorial venture soon.last_img read more

Read More
3 Sep
2019

Kenya dam burst death toll rises to 41

first_imgLocal residents wait inside an ambulance after Patel dam burst its bank at Solai, about 40 kilometres north of Nakuru, Kenya, on 9 May, 2018. Photo: AFPAt least 41 people died after a dam burst in central Kenya, police said Thursday, as residents described muddy waters ripping through their homes in what one survivor called “hell on earth”.After a severe drought, weeks of torrential rains in Kenya have led to flooding and mudslides that have left 172 dead.The private Patel dam, used for irrigation and fish farming, burst its earthen banks on Wednesday evening in Solai, near the Rift Valley city of Nakuru, regional police chief Gideon Kibunjah told AFP.The raging waters wiped out two villages, a local resident said, while power lines were swept away, leaving many without electricity. The search for victims on Thursday afternoon by heavy rains.”We have 41 people dead from this tragedy,” Kibunjah said, adding 20 of them were children. He said the search for victims was still going on.”It is a disaster because most people were asleep when the tragedy occurred and their houses were swept away.”He said 36 people had been hospitalised.- ‘Hell on earth’ -Survivor Ngugi Njoroge said he and his family had been having dinner when there was a “loud explosion of water that washed away our home.””I was with my parents and my younger brother. I don’t know where they are. I was carried away by the water but I was lucky as I clung to a tree until the water subsided,” he said from his hospital bed.”It was like hell on earth.”Miriam Karimi said she could not find any of her three children, including her four-year-old son.”When we heard noises, we thought it was raining heavily nearby. I’m so confused. I hope they are alive,” she said.A senior police officer at the scene, speaking on condition of anonymity, said emergency workers had spent the night combing through engulfed houses to retrieve bodies.”We found 11 of the bodies covered with mud at a coffee plantation and these are people who may have been escaping but could not make it due to the force and speed of the water from the flooded dam,” he said.”Most of them are women and children who could not have been able to run fast, and the elderly.”The dam is close to an informal settlement housing casual labourers who work on nearby farms.The Kenyan Red Cross estimates that up to 500 families were affected by the disaster, which took place some 150 kilometres (90 miles) northwest of Nairobi.- Deadly rainy season -Weeks of torrential rains in Kenya have led to flooding and mudslides countrywide.Government statistics released Wednesday showed that more than 220,000 people have been displaced by flooding as heavy rains hit the country after three consecutive failed rainy seasons had left it in drought.Since March, at least 21,000 acres (8,500 hectares) of farmland have been submerged in water with an estimated 20,000 animals killed, the Red Cross said last week.The floods have also destroyed road networks in some parts of the East African country and in some cases the military has stepped in to airlift residents from submerged houses.The Red Cross appealed last week for $5 million (four million euros) to help those affected.The deluge has affected large parts of East Africa, destroying crops and killing farm animals after a severe drought which had sent food prices and inflation soaring and left millions in need of food aid.In Rwanda 215 people have died because of floods and landslides since January, according to Philippe Habinshuti of the disaster management ministry.In Somalia flooding has displaced tens of thousands, while torrential rains have also caused havoc in Tanzania and Uganda.last_img read more

Read More
1 Sep
2019

Duchess Meghan Praises New Zealand on Womens Voting Victory

first_imgBy NICK PERRY, Associated PressWELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — The Duchess of Sussex on Sunday congratulated New Zealand on becoming the first country in the world to allow women to vote 125 years ago, and said that effort had paved the way for others around the world.“Suffrage is not simply about the right to vote but also about what that represents,” Meghan said. “The basic and fundamental human right of being able to participate in the choices for your future, and for your community.”Meghan, Duchess of Sussex receives a “hongi” a traditional Maori welcome on the lawns of Government House in Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018. Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are on day 13 of their 16-day tour of Australia and the South Pacific. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)Meghan and her husband, Prince Harry, are on the final leg of their 16-day tour of the South Pacific, which has taken in four countries.Meghan, who describes herself as a feminist, was speaking to a group of mainly women guests in Wellington that included Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. Meghan got a big cheer when she opened her speech with a greeting in indigenous Maori.The function was designed to celebrate the suffrage anniversary, and Dame Patsy Reddy also got a cheer when she pointed out that she was the nation’s third female governor general andArden was the third female prime minister. The event was delayed after a fire alarm, believed to have been triggered by an atomizer spreading air freshener in a bathroom, forced guests to briefly evacuate the building.Earlier, the couple was greeted with an indigenous Maori welcome.Harry and Meghan each performed a “hongi” with Maori elders, in which they pressed noses together to share a breath. They were welcomed with traditional haka performances and a 21-gun salute at Government House in Wellington, New Zealand’s capital.The couple are scheduled to spend four days in New Zealand, where they will go for a trail walk in a national park, meet young people training to be part of the film industry and visit a hatchery for the national bird, the kiwi.At Government House, a group of children got to meet the royal couple. Minnie Newman, an 11-year-old from Kelburn Girl Guides, said she was impressed with Meghan.“I love her dress and she was really pretty,” Newman said. “She seems really nice and kind and would be good for royalty.”Greta Crowe, 11, said she told the couple that the best part of being a girl guide was getting to meet them. She said Harry responded, “What, waiting around at Government House in the cold?” and the couple both laughed.Hundreds of people gathered outside barriers at the Pukeahu National War Memorial, hoping to catch a glimpse of the couple on their only public walkabout in the capital.Harry and Meghan arrived on the same plane as a number of competitors returning from Sydney’s Invictus Games, which Harry founded in 2014. The games give sick and injured military personnel and veterans the opportunity to compete in sports such as wheelchair basketball.As well as Australia and New Zealand, the couple has also visited Fiji and Tonga on their tour.last_img read more

Read More
31 Aug
2019

Pak lifts moratorium on death penalty after attack

first_imgPrime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday lifted a self-imposed moratorium on death penalty in terror related cases, a day after ruthless Taliban militants massacred at least 132 students and nine staffers at an army-run school in Peshawar.Prime Minister Sharif told an All Parties Conference here that the moratorium on death penalty has been lifted. “Yesterday’s incident is extremely tragic,” he told the political leaders. “These sacrifices will not go wasted and we all want complete elimination of terrorism from Pakistan.” Also Read – Pro-Govt supporters rally as Hong Kong’s divisions deepenAn official from the PM office in Islamabad said that the Prime Minister abolished the moratorium on death penalty in terrorism-related cases. A de facto moratorium on civilian executions has been in place in Pakistan since 2008.Sharif had decided to resume moratorium soon after his government took office in June last year but suspended the plan under international pressure.Pakistan is feared to lose a concessionary trade deal with the European Union after resuming hangings. Some 150 countries have abolished the death penalty or no longer carry out executions. Also Read – Pak Army ‘fully prepared’ to face any challenge: Army spokesmanAccording to the interior ministry estimates more than 8,000 death row prisoners are in Pakistan who have already exhausted all options and would be hanged within weeks if the government allowed the executions. Terrorism has a very broad definition under Pakistani law. About 17,000 cases of “terrorism” are pending in special courts.Justice Project Pakistan released a report saying Wednesday that those convicted of terrorism were often tortured into confessions or denied lawyers, and that recent crackdowns had not stopped militant attacks.A moratorium on the death penalty was imposed in 2008 and only one execution has taken place since then. Taliban attackers shot most students point blank in headMost of the students at the army-run school in Peshawar were shot in the head from point blank range by the ruthless Taliban suicide attackers, in one of the most gruesome attacks against children in recent years. At least 132 students and nine staffers were killed when the attackers wearing para-military Frontier Corps uniforms stormed the Army Public School on Warsak Road and started indiscriminate firing on them on Tuesday. Quoting students, Dawn reported that the attackers scaled the boundary wall from the adjacent graveyard and started firing while moving towards the classrooms and auditorium. “Most of the students have received bullets in the head,” Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa information minister Mushtaq Ahmed Ghani said, giving out chilling account of the attack.The parents, who usually wait outside the school to pick their children at the closing time, were seen crying outside hospitals.Besides the parents and relatives, the people visiting the hospitals were also seen mourning on seeing the bodies and injured students in their blood-stained school uniform. “I saw 17 bodies at the CMH (Combined Military Hospital) and all of them had received bullets in the head,” said an eyewitness. He said that some of the bodies were mutilated. Mohammad Zeeshan, a student of grade-7, said that he and many others were getting first aid training in the school hall when they heard the gunfire. “Our trainer told us to lie down on the floor,” he said, adding that in the meantime the terrorists entered the hall. Zeeshan said the terrorists started shooting the students in their heads at a close range. “They killed our class-fellows and then left us in the main hall. I received a bullet in my foot,” the boy said. Paki begins three-day mourning and mass burials for its childrenPakistan on Wednesday began three days of mourning for the 132 children and nine school staff massacred by the Taliban in the country’s deadliest ever terror attack, as the world united in revulsion. Across the country many schools closed as a mark of respect, while those that opened held special prayers for the 141 killed in Tuesday’s assault on an army-run school in the northwestern city of Peshawar.Schools, colleges, offices and markets were closed across Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, the northwestern province of which Peshawar is the capital.Funerals for the victims, many of whose bodies were pulled from the school still wearing their smart green uniforms drenched in blood, began late on Tuesday and the rest will be carried out on Wednesday.Eyewitnesses said the six attackers came in a white van and torched their vehicle before opening fire to scare away onlookers and clambering over a wall to enter the school.“One of them poured petrol over the vehicle and then set it alight. Then they opened fire in the streets and me along with another person ran away to save our life,” said witness Zabihullah, 12. Two Blasts Outside Girls College Near PeshawarTwo blasts have been heard near a girls college in Pakistan, where 132 children were killed in a massive terror attack by the Taliban at a Peshawar school yesterday. The explosions were reported in Dera Ismail Khan, another city in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province. he security forces rushed to the spot of the incident and cordoned off the area.According to some reports, no militant group has claimed the responsibility of the blasts as of now and no casualty has been reported. The nature of the blasts yet to be established.last_img read more

Read More
19 Aug
2019

Sunwings Luxury for Less sale on now through May 17

first_img Monday, May 13, 2019 << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Travelweek Group Posted bycenter_img TORONTO — With Sunwing’s Luxury for Less sale, clients can take advantage of vacation savings for bookings now until May 17.With this latest sale Sunwing is offering savings of up to $1,500 per couple at top resorts across the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America.One property taking part in the deal is also one of Mexico’s newest resorts: Royalton Suites Cancun Resort and Spa. Families can enjoy amenities and activities plus accommodations that sleep families of five or more. Located on the white-sand shores of Cancun, this brand-new resort features a kids’ club and teen lounge.Riu Palace Tropic Bay in Negril is another family-friendly resort included in the Luxury for Less sale, featuring a new RiuLand kids club.For travellers seeking an adults-only getaway, Riu Republica in Punta Cana is another option. This resort, located on a white-sand beach, offers unlimited access to the sole adults only water park in the Caribbean. Amenities include unlimited reservation free-dining, in-room liquor dispensers, and free WiFi. Sunwing’s ‘Luxury for Less’ sale on now through May 17 Tags: Sunwinglast_img read more

Read More