12 Jan
2020

Berbice security guards still seeking March, April salaries

first_imgGuards of the Integrated Security Service, a firm contracted to provide security to Government buildings in Berbice, are calling for the service to be replaced.The workers have shockingly revealed that some of them are yet to receive their March and April salaries, although the month of May is about to end.They revealed that one month after that firm took over the contract to provide security to Government buildings, many of them became unhappy with the firm’s performance. They were not paid in time for Christmas, and have had to wait two more months before they were paid again. To date, some of the guards are still querying their December, January and February salaries, which they claim were inaccurately computed.While some guards have been paid for the past two months, others continue to visit the office in New Amsterdam, Berbice on a weekly basis, seeking not only answers but payments which they should have received since March.Some of the affected guards told this publication that are afraid to appear in the media to address the issue, having seen the fate of some of their colleagues who did so in the past. Moreover, they have been told to go wherever they want to go to lodge their complaints.The guards say they now feel helpless, since they took their case to President David Granger on March 17, 2018 and scores of guards in both Regions Five and Six are still owed salaries for previous months’ work.Both the administrations of Regions Five and Six have officially distanced themselves from the plight confronting the guards, and each has claimed that it has paid the Integrated Security Service for services rendered.The firm has been blaming the supervisors for incorrect submissions of guards’ particulars, saying that ghost names, incorrect calculations and omissions have resulted in the delay and late payment ever since it was given the contract from December 1.The firm’s supervisory staff have denied these allegations, claiming they had supervised those same guards when they worked with another firm which had the same contract, and none of those allegations were ever made.Meanwhile, telephones continue to be disconnected, electricity wires continue to be severed from buildings, and landlords continue to issue notices for tenants to vacate their buildings as the guards wait for the salaries due them, and desperately hope that someone would do something to assist them.Banks and furniture stores are also issuing letters to the guards, many of whose situations are so dire they now have to borrow money from neighbours to travel to work.last_img read more

Read More
12 Jan
2020

Father, son charged for killing Mon Repos man

first_imgThe father and son who were arrested after they reportedly stabbed 23-year-old Brian Dwarka of Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara (ECD) to death were on Wednesday arraigned for the indictable offence of murder.Deceased: Brian DwarkaThe men – Suraj Singh, 50, and his son, Andrew Singh, 24, both of Lot 257 Third Street, Mon Repos – appeared before Magistrate Zamina Seepaul-Ally.They were remanded to prison and were expected to re-appear in court on June 28, 2018.Guyana Times had previously reported that on May 27, 2018, Dwarka was stabbed to death while he was attending a barbecue, a short distance away from his home.According to reports, Dwarka was in the company of his friends and cousins when an argument between him and Suraj Singh ensued.The middle-aged man, along with his son, allegedly approached Dwarka and his group, armed with knives.However, while his friends were able to escape, the 23-year-old Mon Repos resident attempted to jump over a fence, but was stabbed once to his chest.Dwarka fell into the yard and onto the ground; he was later picked up by his mother and other relatives and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.The two suspects were apprehended – the father at the Georgetown Public Hospital after he reportedly lied to Police, stating that he was attacked and robbed and was sent for a medical, while the younger Singh was found hiding in a toilet in his home.last_img read more

Read More