22 Sep
2020

Napoli to splash N27b on Osimhen

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Napoli have agreed an initial €60 million (N27 billion) fee with Lille for Victor Osimhen.The Nigeria striker, according to reports, is set to sign a five-year contract and join the Serie A side in the most expensive transfer deal of the summer so far. The 21-year-old scored 18 goals in all competitions for Lille before the French season ended prematurely owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and has been linked with several English clubs, including Manchester United and Liverpool.But Osimhen, who changed agent last week, looks set to move to Napoli after negotiations between the clubs were completed on Thursday.It is understood the fee could rise to €81 million after a number of performance-related add-ons – €1 million more than the African record transfer fee Arsenal paid Lille for the Ivory Coast international Nicolas Pépé last summer.There is also an option to extend Osimhen’s contract by a further year.Lille are expected to step up their efforts to sign Jonathan David having seen a €25 million bid for the Canada striker rejected by Gent this month. The French club have signed 35-year-old Turkey striker Burak Yilmaz in preparation for Osimhen’s departure and have been told they must pay a Belgian record fee of €30 million to secure David.Tags: COVID-19NapoliSerie AVicotr Osimhenlast_img read more

Read More
19 Sep
2020

Rivals are closer, warn Mercedes F1 boss

first_img(REUTERS) – Formula One’s new rules are “just what the doctor ordered”, even if rival teams have become more competitive, according to Mercedes motorsport head Toto Wolff.The Austrian said in a preview for Sunday’s Australian season-opener in Melbourne that Mercedes, the dominant team of the past three years, face a big challenge.“We have been very successful over the last three years through stable rules — but no team has ever maintained its success over such a big regulation change before,” said Wolff.“In a way, it’s just what the doctor ordered. To have such a challenge is good for the team.“We have done the best job we possibly could over the winter and, if we are not the fastest in Melbourne, then it’s about finding out why and what needs to be done to get us back to that top spot.”Ferrari emerged from pre-season testing with the quickest times, although the Mercedes pairing of triple champion Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas did the most laps with impressive reliability.Bottas, previously with Williams, has replaced 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, who retired days after winning his first title.Hamilton, winner of 53 grands prix over his career to date, starts the season as favourite for a fourth championship and to win the opening race.Bookmakers William Hill have the Briton at 10/11 for Melbourne, with Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel second favourite at 7/2 and Bottas at 6/1.“We believe that it is going to be another Mercedes procession but the Australian Grand Prix is often unpredictable,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.Wolff said testing in Barcelona had indicated “that the margins at the front of the field have shrunk,” although there was no way of knowing for sure.Teams use testing to experiment with fuel loads and power unit settings.Mercedes have won 51 of 59 grands prix since the 1.6 litre V6 turbo hybrid units were introduced. The team also started all but one of last season’s races on pole position.Ferrari and Red Bull are the only teams to have beaten Mercedes since 2013.last_img read more

Read More