18 Jan
2020

All about LeBron: Where does the Lakers star go from here?

first_imgMiami lost the 2011 NBA Finals in his first season with the Heat. Fueled by that, he came back the next year better than ever, and his fingerprints smudged the Larry O’Brien Trophy for the first time in 2012. Cleveland lost the 2015 finals in his first year back there, and he carried that all the way to winning the 2016 title.Of course, he was younger then.He’ll turn 35 in December. Next season is his 17th in the NBA. Does he have the ability to engineer the sort of turnaround that LA needs?Kevin Love, his former Cleveland teammate, has no doubt.“Just having that break, being able to reassess and come back really, really highly motivated, I think it’s going to be big for him,” Love said. “If you get Bron highly motivated, anything can happen.”James is still putting up amazing numbers. At 34, he’s on pace to become the oldest person in NBA history to average 27 points, eight assists and eight rebounds. If it happens, he’ll break the record set by 33-year-old LeBron James last season. No other 30-something has finished a season with stats like that.Still, this Lakers’ season is lost. But Wade warns against expecting the same next season.“This is definitely going to make him hungrier for what he’s trying to accomplish next year,” Wade said.MORE JAMESJames passed Michael Jordan for No. 4 on the NBA’s all-time regular season scoring list last week. Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief This week, he’ll pass Kobe Bryant on another scoring list.Including playoff games, James now has 39,252 points. That leaves him 31 shy of matching Bryant for No. 3 on the all-time total points list, when including the postseason. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has 44,154 points including playoffs, Karl Malone has 41,689 and Bryant scored 39,283.Bryant will remain No. 3 on the regular-season list, though James is on pace to pass him in that department next season.AND MORE JAMESOne thing to think about as James enters potentially six months without any basketball: It might not be six months without any basketball.USA Basketball certainly is hoping that’s the case.With the FIBA World Cup looming in China this summer, and with the Americans — set to be coached by Gregg Popovich — not convening for camp until more than three months after the end of the Lakers’ season, it would seem like James would have plenty of time to feel refreshed and ready for a return to game action by then.There are pros and cons that he’ll consider.Pros: He’s enormously popular in China, he’s greatly enjoyed playing for USA Basketball before and the chance to be coached by Popovich is going to be a major selling point.Cons: The tournament goes until Sept. 15, which is not long before the start of NBA training camps, and the Lakers have to go to China for preseason games next fall. Even from Los Angeles, that’s a long flight and it remains to be seen if James would want to make it twice in a relatively short amount of time. View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra LATEST STORIES That’s not entirely true. He knew it would be difficult but he couldn’t have foreseen anything like this, since the only other losing season of his life came when he was a rookie in 2003-04.Thing is, he doesn’t possibly know what comes next. No one does. The offseason will see roster change, top free agents to play alongside James will be pursued hard by Rob Pelinka and Magic Johnson, and it will not be a surprise if the Lakers decide Luke Walton isn’t the right coach anymore.But the key for the 2019-20 Lakers — obviously — is going to be James. The grind of eight straight runs to the NBA Finals is over. He’s about to get six months off to rest, recover, reset, heal, think, plot, prepare. It’s been a long time since that happened, and at this point in his career it might be precisely what he needs.“Rest is going to help,” said Miami guard Dwyane Wade, one of James’ closest friends. “I think the biggest thing with him is probably mental, the mental break from it. Physically, obviously, he’s getting older but he’s still very good at this game. Look at his numbers. They’re still very good. But he’s been going at it for a long time, so to get away from it and kind of look at it from a different lens, it’ll definitely help.”It has been proven that setbacks inspire James.ADVERTISEMENT Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying CEU blows 30-point lead, escapes San Beda for 3-0 recordcenter_img LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 06: LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers warms up before the game against the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center on March 06, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. Robert Laberge/Getty Images/AFPThe year was 2005. No one had an iPhone. No one had tweeted. Facebook wasn’t part of the mainstream.And it was the last time the NBA playoffs didn’t have LeBron James.ADVERTISEMENT THE WEEK AHEADA game to watch each day this week, as the playoff races continue getting hotter:— Monday, Boston at L.A. Clippers: The Celtics are red-hot, while the Clippers’ Doc Rivers is a major coach of the year candidate.— Tuesday, San Antonio at Dallas: Spurs are 2-0 against the Mavericks this season, winning those games by a total of nine points.— Wednesday, Golden State at Houston: The Rockets are simply rolling right now, and are 3-0 against the Warriors this season.— Thursday, Cleveland at Orlando: The Magic will not go away in the East playoff chase, and are 6-1 since Jan. 31 in home games.— Friday, Charlotte at Washington: They played a down-to-the-wire game last week, and both teams are fighting for their playoff lives.— Saturday, Golden State at Oklahoma City: National TV game, and Kevin Durant’s only trip this season back to his old home court.— Sunday, Philadelphia at Milwaukee: These teams haven’t played since Oct. 24, when Giannis Antetokounmpo did whatever he wanted. The Los Angeles Lakers aren’t mathematically eliminated from postseason consideration yet, but it’s only a matter of time. For the first time in 14 years, the postseason will begin without James — and for the first time in nine years, the NBA Finals will be played without him.It will be a very long offseason for James.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsIt is not what he envisioned, either.“It’s challenging,” James said of the current state of the Lakers. “But I kind of knew what I was getting myself into.” MOST READ Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:28‘The Two Popes’ movie explores depth of faith, frailties of man02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player awardlast_img read more

Read More
25 Dec
2019

TAOISEACH ADMITS HOSPITAL WILL BE SHUT FOR A LONG PERIOD AFTER FLOODS

first_imgThe Taoiseach has admitted that Letterkenny General Hospital will be shut for a long period of time.The car park at Letterkenny General during the floods.Enda Kenny was speaking at the MacGill Summer School in Glenties having been briefed by Health Minister Dr James Reilly who had visited the badly damaged hospital earlier today.The Fine Gael leader said the damage sustained by the hospital on Friday evening was far worse that had been anticipated. And he admitted  that the cost of fixing the damage is now expected to run into millions.“I think you’re talking about a pretty serious emergency situation here.“I spoke to the Minister for Health this evening who visited the hospital with personnel. He gave me a blow-by-blow account of what happened here.“This is very substantial, records lost MRI, diagnostics, laboratory walls to be de-plastered and de-contaminated. “This is far more serious than was first thought. It means effectively that Letterkenny is out of operation for a considerable time and that means calling on the assistance in respect of Derry, Enniskillen, Sligo and the community and there may be some other alternatives that have to be considered as well.”Mr Kenny said the health minister will report on the full extent of what is required to fix Letterkenny shortly.The hospital was evacuated on Friday evening after it’s new €20m A&E unit was flooded with several feet of water.The flooding was caused after a stream at the back of the hospital became congested and flowed over into the hospital.As well as damage to the body of the hospital, hundreds of thousands of euro of equipment including scanners and x-ray equipment was destroyed. TAOISEACH ADMITS HOSPITAL WILL BE SHUT FOR A LONG PERIOD AFTER FLOODS was last modified: July 29th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:floodsLetterkenny General HospitalTaoiseach Enda Kennylast_img read more

Read More
5 Sep
2019

Bombay Stock Exchange halts trading due to network outage

first_imgBombay Stock Exchange halts trading due to network outage1.4K views00:00 / 00:00- 00:00:0000:00Bombay Stock Exchange halts trading due to network outage1.4K viewsBusinessMumbai, July 3 (ANI): Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) halted trading on Thursday morning across all of its markets, including shares, currencies and indexes due to a network outage. Reportedly, all orders placed before the network outage would be cancelled. The exchange operator network service vendor HCL Technologies Ltd was working to resolve the issue. Stock Market Expert, Sunil Shah, said that the authorities are addressing the problem and have assured that trading will start soon.Ventuno Web Player 4.50Mumbai, July 3 (ANI): Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) halted trading on Thursday morning across all of its markets, including shares, currencies and indexes due to a network outage. Reportedly, all orders placed before the network outage would be cancelled. The exchange operator network service vendor HCL Technologies Ltd was working to resolve the issue. Stock Market Expert, Sunil Shah, said that the authorities are addressing the problem and have assured that trading will start soon.last_img read more

Read More
3 Sep
2019

TIB questions Ershads role as PMs special emissary

first_imgThe government pays him Tk 500,000 per month as well as provides him with other facilities and special allowances as the prime minister’s special emissary, the report said. HM Ershad. File PhotoTransparency International Bangladesh (TIB) has raised questions about how effectively Jatiya Party (JaPa) chairman HM Ershad performs his duties as special emissary to prime minister Sheikh Hasina.Despite being the PM’s special emissary, Ershad was not seen performing this role in his personal tours to several countries, TIB officials said quoting a study at a press conference on Thursday.TIB revealed the study, titled ‘Parliament Watch’, on the operation of 14th to 18th session of the 10th national parliament.According to TIB’s study, the chief of “official opposition party” in parliament, HM Ershad, was appointed as PM’s special emissary on 12 January 2014.The government, however, did not clarify by issuing any gazette or order as to what Ershad’s duties would be as the prime minister’s special emissary.Executive director of the TIB, Iftekharuzzaman, said that they failed to collect any specific gazette regarding the appointment of Ershad as PM’s special emissary.Asked about this, cabinet secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam told Prothom Alo that there is a gazette in this regard.According to media reports, Ershad’s duties include representing Bangladesh as a modern, Muslim-dominated democracy, promoting its education system, culture, and non-communal image before the world, as well as working to widen Bangladesh’s scope of exporting manpower in the Middle East.As special emissary, he visited several countries, but he was not seen performing as the prime minister’s special envoy in any of these countries, according to the Parliamentary Watch report.last_img read more

Read More
3 Sep
2019

Gunmen kill 10 villagers in Nigeria officials

first_img.Gunmen have killed 10 people in attacks on two Christian-dominated villages in the northern Nigerian state of Kaduna, a hotbed of ethnic and religous strife, officials said Tuesday.On Christmas Eve, six people were killed when gunmen suspected to be ethnic Fulani Muslims stormed Ungwan Mailafiya, they said.The killings followed an attack in nearby Nindem late Friday where gunmen opened fire on a congregation, killing four and injuring 10, said a local lawmaker.”While we were mourning the deaths at Nindem … the security personnel received distress calls of another attack at Ungwan Mailafiya”, parliamentarian Shehu Nicholas Garba said in a statement.”By daybreak on Christmas, six persons had been confirmed killed, including a child of about six years old, and many others injured,” he said.A spokesman from the state government said troops had been deployed to prevent further violence.Southern Kaduna has for three decades been locked in tit-for-tat killings between indigenous Christian farming communities and Muslim Hausa and Fulani settlers.The dispute was originally over land and grazing rights but has lately degenerated into ethnic and religious conflicts, leaving hundreds dead.last_img read more

Read More
3 Sep
2019

HC orders to destroy expired medicines in 30 days

first_imgHigh CourtThe High Court on Tuesday asked the authorities concerned to take necessary steps to remove expired medicines from pharmacy shelves across the country and destroy those within 30 days.The HC bench of justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and justice KM Kamrul Kader passed the order following a writ petition, reports UNB.The court also asked the relevant authorities to take action against those involved in preserving and selling expired medicines and submit a progress report in this regard.On 10 June, Manjur Mohammad Shahrier, director general of Directorate of National Consumer Rights Protection’s (DNCRP), said 93 per cent pharmacies in the capital kept date-expired drugs. The report was published in different newspapers the following day.Supreme Court lawyer Mahfuzur Rahman Milon, on behalf of Justice Watch Foundation, filed a writ petition with the High Court after attaching the reports published in national dailies on 17 June.Lawyer ABM Altaf Hossain stood for the writ petitioner while deputy attorney general ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar represented the state.The HC also issued a rule asking the government to explain as to why the ineffectiveness of the defendant should not be declared illegal.Secretaries to the home ministry, health and family welfare ministry, law ministry, commerce ministry, industries ministry, director general of Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), director general of Directorate General of Drug Administration (DGDA) and director general of Directorate of National Consumer Rights Protection’s (DNCRP), its deputy director, IGP, president of Bangladesh Association of Pharmaceutical Industries (BAPI) and its general secretary have been made respondents to the rule.Milon, the SC lawyer, said the HC also asked the health secretary, Director General of DGHS, director general of DGDA, director general of DNCRP, to form separate probe bodies for identifying those involved in selling, preserving and supplying expired medicines and submit a progressive report to the court.Besides, the court asked the DNCRP director general and its deputy general to submit a report about the comment of its deputy director Manjur Mohammad Shahrier, said Milon.According to the report published in daily newspapers on 10 June, Manjur Mohammad Shahrier, director general of Directorate of National Consumer Rights Protection’s (DNCRP), said 93 per cent pharmacies in Dhaka keep date-expired medicines.He made the remarks while speaking at a programme at Khamarbari arranged by Bangladesh Supermarket Owners Association marking ‘World Food Safety Day’.last_img read more

Read More