8 Dec
2020

Tri-Cities Opera’s “Cocoa and Carols” coming soon

first_imgTri-Cities says it wanted to give back to the community and spread cheer through art during this difficult year. To register or for more information click here. “I want them to be so thrilled and be smiling,” said John Rozzoni, General Director of Tri-Cities Opera, adding, “TCO is not going anywhere and we’re a part of this community.” (WBNG) — Some virtual, holiday cheer will be coming your way soon. Audiences can tune in online to watch a festive musical performance. Registration is free, but Tri-Cities says people can purchase a “Cocoa Care Package” which includes TCO mugs and tasty treats from “community-based Sinful Indulgence.” Tri-Cities Opera is hosting a holiday special called, “Cocoa and Carols,” which is sponsored by IBM. last_img read more

Read More
18 Oct
2020

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta provides coronavirus update: ‘I have recovered’

first_imgAdvertisement Mikel Arteta has recovered after suffering with coronavirus (Picture: Getty Images)Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta believes he has recovered from coronavirus after being diagnosed with the virus under two weeks ago.The Spaniard tested positive for coronavirus, releasing a statement on 12 March saying he took the test after feeling poorly and received the ‘really disappointing’ news.Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira revealed last Monday that his manager was ‘doing better’ and now Arteta has provided even more positive news, saying he now feels that he has recovered entirely.‘It took me three or four days to start feeling better, with more energy, to leave the symptoms behind,’ he told Spanish television station La Sexta.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘I am very well now. I feel that I have recovered.’ Visit our live blog for the latest updates Coronavirus news liveThe 37-year-old is hoping to return to work as soon as possible, but that is not going to happen in the near future, with Arsenal’s return to training delayed.The Gunners were going to be back in training on Tuesday this week, but the club have postponed that plan.A club statement read: ‘As a result of the current situation, we are clear it would be inappropriate and irresponsible to ask players to come back at this time.“Therefore our men’s first team, women and academy players are all remaining at home. Stay at home and save lives.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityArteta went into more detail about how he came to find out he had contracted coronavirus in the days after his side had played Olympiacos in the Europa League on 27 February.‘Everything happened very fast,’ he explained. ‘On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling so-so and I went to see the doctor but he wasn’t there.‘I got a call from the board of directors after training while I was in my car and they told me that the president of Olympiacos had tested positive and everyone that had been in contact was at risk.‘I went on to tell them that I wasn’t feeling well and that we had a situation because we had lots of players that had been in contact with them [Olympiakos].‘We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn’t put lots of people at risk without saying anything.‘I had the test done last Wednesday and I was diagnosed on Friday, when we had to communicate it to the Premier League that I had tested positive.‘Obviously all those that had been in contact with me had to go into quarantine, and consequently, games had to be suspended.’MORE: Arsenal face stiff competition in race for Newcastle’s Matty Longstaff on free transferMORE: Arsenal vow to pay all staff until end of April despite no Premier League footballAdvertisementAdvertisementFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Metro Sport ReporterMonday 23 Mar 2020 3:07 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.3kSharescenter_img Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta provides coronavirus update: ‘I have recovered’ Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More
4 Aug
2020

Fair Haven’s Costumed Kiddos Take Over The Streets

first_imgAlthough the weather was gloomy, the joy on the children’s faces as they paraded down the road helped brighten the day. Photos by Patrick Olivero After the “hunt,” the kids paraded down Hance Road and onto River Road, ending in front of the community firehouse. There participants were treated to donuts and juice as they waited for the results of the costume competition. The winners took home gift certificates to businesses in town. center_img FAIR HAVEN – Little superheroes, first responders, princesses and even the Statue of Liberty took to the streets as part of Fair Haven’s annual Halloween Egg Hunt and Costume Parade Sunday, Oct. 20. Festivities began at Sportsman’s Field across from Knollwood School where the children anxiously awaited the green light to collect as many candy-stuffed, Halloween-themed eggs as possible. At the signal all the children rushed forward; in minutes they had wiped the field clean of eggs. last_img read more

Read More
2 Aug
2020

STABLE NOTES BY ED GOLDEN – SUNDAY, FEB. 26, 2017

first_imgJ. Keith Desormeaux3473521%44%$446,760 Vladimir Cerin3487624%62%$283,719 ARROGATE WORKS MONDAY, POSSIBLE FOR BIG ‘CAPSENSITIVELY RETURNS IN THE GRADE III LAS FLORESKOBE‘S BACK DRILLS WITH GARY STEVENS ABOARD Philip D’Amato631371121%49%$815,980 Norberto Arroyo, Jr.78127715%33%$617,100 JockeyMts1st2nd3rdWin%ITM%Money Won Jerry Hollendorfer9418111819%50%$1,335,468 Tyler Baze17130362018%50%$1,446,796 Santiago Gonzalez9410131211%37%$481,242 ARROGATE, MIDNIGHT STORM WORK TOMORROW“The big horse works tomorrow.”So spoke Bob Baffert at Clockers’ Corner on an intermittently rainy Sunday morning, referring to Breeders’ Cup Classic and Pegasus World Cup winner Arrogate, who is scheduled to work at 7:45 a.m. under jockey Martin Garcia, after which a decision could be forthcoming on whether the Eclipse Award champion three-year-old male of 2016 will run in the Santa Anita Handicap on March 11, or go elsewhere.With the spate of recent rain altering training schedules, Baffert deems it crucial to get the work for Arrogate in tomorrow to maintain a regimen that will keep the son of Unbridled’s Song race ready no matter where he surfaces next.Also scheduled to work Monday for the Grade I, $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap at a mile and a quarter is Midnight Storm for Phil D’Amato, who has been firm on the Big ‘Cap since  the versatile speedster won the Grade II San Pasqual Stakes on Jan. 1.“I’m very happy with him,” D’Amato said of the six-year-old full horse by Pioneerof the Nile out of the Bertrando dam My Tina, and a graded stakes winner on dirt and turf. “We’re looking forward to running in the Big ‘Cap.” Luis Contreras8910102311%48%$487,537 (Current Through Saturday, Feb. 25) Joseph Talamo1081681715%38%$515,903 Flavien Prat16238252823%56%$2,495,094 Peter Miller782120727%62%$1,144,515 Mark Glatt54911717%50%$400,570 Mike Smith38133934%66%$1,252,159 Rafael Bejarano9918151718%51%$983,493center_img SENSITIVELY ‘FRESH’ FOR LAS FLORES STAKESSensitively is scheduled to make her first start in nearly seven months in next Sunday’s Grade III Las Flores Stakes for fillies and mares, four and up, at six furlongs.“She’s training good and she runs well fresh,” trainer Phil D’Amato said of the five-year-old Street Sense mare that last raced on Aug. 17, 2016, but has won twice after layoffs, once after five months and another after seven weeks.“Tyler (Baze) has been breezing her and we’re a go.”Sensitively has won four of nine career starts but seeks her first stakes win in the Las Flores, which offers $100,000 in purse money. The bay mare is a horse for course, however, having won four of six starts at Santa Anita, with one second.Others likely for the Los Flores include Constellation, Flavien Prat; Fantastic Style, Rafael Bejarano; and Watch This Cat, Corey Nakatani. Bob Baffert4496720%50%$886,151 SANTA ANITA STATISTICS TrainerMts1st2nd3rdWin%ITM%Money Won Doug O’Neill10711221910%49%$1,026,751 Kent Desormeaux10121121021%43%$1,268,091 Richard Baltas9116161418%51%$854,717 KOBE‘S BACK BREEZES FOR TRIPLE BEND UNDER STEVENSKobe’s Back, who last raced June 25, 2016, finishing third in the Grade I Triple Bend Stakes, worked six furlongs on Santa Anita’s “good” main track at 11:45 a.m. before Sunday’s first race at 12:30 p.m. for this year’s Triple Bend for four-year-olds and up at seven furlongs on March 11.Under regular rider Gary Stevens, Kobe’s Back was clocked in 1:13.13, with fractional times of 23.74, 35.71, 47.94 and 1:00.30.A six-year-old Kentucky-bred son of Flatter trained by Peter Eurton for the C R K Stable, millionaire Kobe’s Back has a 5-3-4 record from 20 starts with earnings of $1,036,250.Also working before the first race were a trio for Bob Baffert, three-year-old American Anthem, in company with Downtowner, and Grade II Matron winner Pretty N Cool, who is nominated to next Sunday’s Las Flores Stakes.American Anthem, runner-up to Gormley in the Sham Stakes, was ridden by Martin Garcia and timed in 59.40 for five furlongs. The fractional times were 23.68, 46.76 and 58.98, with a six furlong gallop out of 1:11.51. Downtowner received a final time of 59.40.Pretty N Cool went six furlongs under Garcia in 1:11.03, getting splits of 23.82, 46.82 and 59.03, with a seven furlong gallop out of 1:24.17. Victor Espinoza46912620%59%$631,797 William Spawr22102245%64%$282,271 Stewart Elliott11212131611%37%$586,157 FINISH LINES: Bettys Bambino, a disappointing third and last as the 2-5 favorite in Saturday’s Sensational Star Stakes, came out of the race with an injury and likely will be retired. “We could bring him back, but at his age (seven), we’d have to give him six months off,” trainer Peter Eurton said Sunday morning. “He strained his (left) front suspensory, but he’s walking sound and more than likely he’ll probably be retired, but I need to talk to the owners. You never know. They might want to bring him back.” The Sensational Star on Santa Anita’s downhill turf course at about 6 ½ furlongs was only the 12th race in the abbreviated career of Bettys Bambino, who had won six of seven starts over the venue. A gelded son of Unusual Heat, Bettys Bambino has earned $390,036 . . . The seven scheduled starters in today’s fifth race will never win any Eclipse Awards, but they’ve certainly paid their dues in longevity, with a combined 275 starts in their careers, topped by Smil’n From Above, a nine-year-old mare trained by Marcelo Polanco who has raced 82 times, winning only three but finishing second and third 17 times each. The seven runners have averaged more than 39 starts each. Gianis, a seven-year-old mare trained by Duff Shidaker, goes postward for the 61st time in the race, labeled the $23,000 Queen of Hearts Starter Handicap for older fillies and mares at six furlongs . . . Agent Tom Knust has Mario Gutierrez booked to ride California Derby winner So Conflated for Paul Reddam and Doug O’Neill in next Saturday’s 1 1/16 mile Gotham at Aqueduct . . . Friends and well wishers of trainer Barry Abrams, of whom there are many, offered congratulations and enjoyed carrot cake at Clockers’ Corner Sunday in advance of his 63rd birthday next Saturday, March 4 . . . All THOROUGHBREDS members at Santa Anita on Big ‘Cap Day, March 11, will receive a free Santa Anita umbrella with paid admission while supplies last. There will be a $1 million guaranteed Late Pick 4 and a $100,000 guaranteed Pick 6. First post time will be 12 noon, with admission gates opening at 10 a.m. Martin Pedroza829161411%48%$429,713 Peter Eurton4385519%42%$457,269 John Sadler42791017%62%$471,304 Tiago Pereira781081013%36%$320,755last_img read more

Read More