22 Sep
2020

Napoli to splash N27b on Osimhen

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Napoli have agreed an initial €60 million (N27 billion) fee with Lille for Victor Osimhen.The Nigeria striker, according to reports, is set to sign a five-year contract and join the Serie A side in the most expensive transfer deal of the summer so far. The 21-year-old scored 18 goals in all competitions for Lille before the French season ended prematurely owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and has been linked with several English clubs, including Manchester United and Liverpool.But Osimhen, who changed agent last week, looks set to move to Napoli after negotiations between the clubs were completed on Thursday.It is understood the fee could rise to €81 million after a number of performance-related add-ons – €1 million more than the African record transfer fee Arsenal paid Lille for the Ivory Coast international Nicolas Pépé last summer.There is also an option to extend Osimhen’s contract by a further year.Lille are expected to step up their efforts to sign Jonathan David having seen a €25 million bid for the Canada striker rejected by Gent this month. The French club have signed 35-year-old Turkey striker Burak Yilmaz in preparation for Osimhen’s departure and have been told they must pay a Belgian record fee of €30 million to secure David.Tags: COVID-19NapoliSerie AVicotr Osimhenlast_img read more

Read More
19 Sep
2020

PCB wants Afridi to retire gracefully from T20

first_imgFORMER Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi’s long stint in international cricket is going to come to an end with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) reportedly giving the all-rounder a chance to officially announce his retirement from the game, during the country’s T20 series against West Indies in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) later this month.According to various reports, the PCB wants the 36-year-old to retire from the game and will give the cricketer a chance to say farewell in a dignified manner with plans to pick him for the T20 squad that will face the West Indies.Afridi had previously said he would retire from T20 cricket post the ICC T20 World Cup in India but has retracted his statement claiming he still wants to play the shortest format of the game and is available for selection.“Apparently the board and national selectors don’t agree and feel Afridi should retire gracefully although he can continue playing in the foreign leagues and domestic cricket.The plan is to talk to Afridi and explain to him that since the selectors are now building a new T20 squad for the next World T20, there is no place for him.“He will be offered the chance to be included in the Pakistan squad for the T20 series against the West Indies as 16th player and play in the matches,” a source said, as quoted by the Hindu.The 36-year-old had a rocky time during his last stint as captain. He had to step down post Pakistan’s disastrous campaign in the 2016 T20 World Cup and has not represented his country since then.He has also been repeatedly ignored by the selectors, which is headed by another former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq.Afridi has played 27 Test matches, 398 One Day Internationals (ODIs) and 98 T20 Internationals in a career spanning 20 years. He holds the record for the highest number of sixes hit in the 50-over format with 351 runs to his name.(Yahoo Sport)last_img read more

Read More
26 Aug
2020

Lonzo Ball focuses on getting healthy: ‘If I get traded, then I get traded’

first_img“At the end of the day, you can only control the things that you can control,” Ball told The Athletic. “If I get traded, then I get traded. But I’m going to be ready to go. The goal is to be the best player I can for whichever team.”Ball was linked to rumors around the Lakers’ trade talks with the Pelicans as Los Angeles tried to land six-time All-Star Anthony Davis. Ball was among several Los Angeles players reportedly offered in negotiations, but the deal eventually fell through.  Related News Despite the rumors, Ball said he’s just working to control what he can and he’s putting an emphasis on recovering now so he can continue to build on his game this summer. “I’m very, very motivated,” Ball said. “I want to be the best I can be. I’m looking forward to this summer. I don’t look at it as added pressure, because I haven’t had a full summer yet to dedicate to myself. I have to keep working on my craft. I’m just happy that I’m going to be healthy.”It’s been frustrating. This is the second year that this has happened. But I have to stay positive, stay motivated.”Ball is in his second season with the Lakers after they selected him with the second overall pick in the 2017 draft. He has averaged 9.9 points with 5.3 rebounds this season while shooting 40.6 percent from the field. NBA wrap: Russell Westbrook, Paul George lead Thunder past Nets Lakers guard Lonzo Ball isn’t concerned about his future with Los Angeles, despite some speculation the 21-year-old will be traded away. Instead, he’s focused on getting healthy from an ankle sprain and bone bruise that ultimately cut his season short. Ball hasn’t played since Jan. 19 against the Rockets, and Los Angeles recently shut him down after undergoing a reevaluation on his ankle.last_img read more

Read More